4.0 out of 5 stars The series so far..., 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: A Game of Thrones (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1) (Paperback)
I have just finally finished the last available book of A Song Of Ice And Fire and as this is one of the best series I have ever read, I thought I'd write a review and post it for potential future readers. Since I made the mistake of reading some of the reviews on here and unfortunately came across a massive spoiler which ruined a huge plot development for me at the end of A Dance With Dragons (book 5) pt2 I will try and make my review as succinct and spoiler-free as possible.

Book 1 - A Game Of Thrones
I would watch the television series to get yourself better acquainted with the characters. The book has been done more than justice in the TV series and at first read it's quite tedious to try and get to grips with the Houses of Westeros and all the political intricacies. A good book though, with the first of many OH MY GOD that didn't just happen moments at the end.

Book 2 - A Clash Of Kings
Read this on holiday and couldn't put it down. The "sh.. hit the fan" well and truly after book 1 and Westeros turns into a free for all. Epic writing by Martin and his disregard for characters continue. Expect the unexpected. Also, the TV series season 2 does not do the book justice in the same way as season 1. You'll want to read this book.

Book 3 - A Storm Of Swords
The first of Martin's books split into two in paperback (these are the versions I read). By far the best book of the series so far. I laughed, I cried, I threw my book on the floor of the bus cursing. Possibly one of my top 5 favourite books of all time simply because of the sheer brilliant writing and subsequent emotion it provoked.

Book 4 - A Feast For Crows
From one of the best books I've ever read to one of the worst. Be warned, this books makes for dreary reading and feels like another Book 1 in the middle of an already richly developed series. Tens of new characters and multiple new family lines get introduced and I found myself reading out loud in the manner of "blah blah blah get to the point" many times. However, these families end up playing a key role later, and there are a few gems in here as you will get the point of view of some characters which opens up a whole new dimension to the story. Stick through it, it will be worth it I promise.

Book 5 - A Dance with Dragons
Also split into two paperbacks, Martin returns to form with the 5th instalment and brings back the old characters we loved from books 1-3. Just remember not to love them too much; no one is safe under Martin's pen. No one. The book is not quite on the level of book 3, but absolutely brilliant compared to book 4 and actually a lot of the new stuff from 4 slots into the previously built storylines. The book builds up nicely towards the end where you'll have a few OH MY GOD moments yet again, but this time you will have no other book to order from Amazon to see what happens next. Not yet anyway.

On balance I would give the series 5 stars but because of book 4 I simply can't and it gets 4. Hopefully a review update after the 6th and 7th book it will all make sense and I will reconsider. That being said I realise and have made my peace with the fact that I will be much older by the time the 7th and final book is published and might not even remember how to write a review... Until such time I can only envy you, the person who is yet to embark on this journey. Enjoy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Jun 2014 11:45:24 BDT
Great review!

What do you think the right number books for this series is though? Seeing as you didn't enjoy book 4 so much, do you think it would have worked better as a trilogy? I'm interested because I'm writing a 'New Adult' fantasy series with a distinctly different flavor. :-

The Last Dragon Slayer (Deathsworn Arc Book 1) The Verkreath Horror (Deathsworn Arc Book 2)

At the moment I have two books out and a third written, due to be published soon. Originally the point at which book 4 will end was supposed to be the end of the second book of a trilogy. Now it looks like it's going to end up as an eight book series. What I don't want to do is get to the point where readers which I'd called it a day - as seems to be happening with the very latest Morgan Rice 'Sorcerer's Ring' books, despite being popular and liked. A Rule of Queens (Book #13 in the Sorcerer's Ring)

Do you think you'd have enjoyed Song of Fire and Ice more if it had been compressed into less, bigger books? Or do wish Martin was planning on NOT finishing with 'A Dream of Spring' and intended to write a ninth, tenth and more ?

I thought 'The Lord of the Rings' worked much better as a trilogy than as the six book series, but having recently read Ken Follett's 'The Pillars of the Earth' The Pillars of the Earth I just don't feel inclined to read 'World Without End' World Without End partly because Pillars was so grim, and partly because huge books, can be a bit... Too much? You know, sometimes you want something in small, bite-size chunks. However last time I read Lord of the Rings I read the entire Trilogy back-to-back. What do you think?

Posted on 21 Jun 2014 18:31:47 BDT
Brilliant review thank you (exactly what I was looking for)

Posted on 18 Nov 2014 17:26:24 GMT
blaze.s8n says:
Great review...especially the book order as well. I'm halfway through book 1 and it's brilliant so far...I have not seen any of the programmes because I wanted to read the books and have my own take. But your review helps to know there's better to come. I just wish I could read faster! Or for longer.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›