2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sound reproduction, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: SoundMAGIC ES20 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones - Red (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These headphones look very good - especially if, like me, you like the colour red. The cable is very thin but of an interesting material - it looks like a piece of string that has been covered in red wax. As another reviewer pointed out, this probably prevents the cable from getting tangled (one of my pet hates which affects all brands of headphones, including my trusted Sennheisers). The cable also features a clip so that you can secure it to your clothes - a useful feature.

The set comes with a handy leatherette pouch and with 4 spare buds, in two different sizes. I haven't tried replacing the buds that are already on the set as they fit my ears.

The buds are a strange shape, built at an angle. I thought they would be uncomfortable but actually, the fit very well once you've figured out in what ear they are meant to go in (don't worry: it will be obvious once you try to insert the bud in the `wrong' ear).

Now the most important thing: the sound. This is where this set disappoints. I have had the opportunity to test various brands and styles of headphones lately, in various price ranges. So I expected a slightly better sound from SoundMagic for the price. I tested them with the same tracks I tested the others and I wasn't impressed.

What I noticed was that often, at the beginning of a track, I could hear a kind of `shhhhh' sound - like with some old record players. It was so obvious that I stopped and plugged in my Sennheisers to check if maybe my I'd failed to notice that before on that track. But no such sound through the Sennheiser. Where there was no hum/hissing noise, I found that overall the reproduction felt very treble heavy, without much body.

I'm aware that this is not a high-end product, but having tested a set of Skullcandy Ink'd 2.0 In-Ear Headphones - Black/Red which are marketed for roughly half the price of the SoundMAGIC ES20, I can certainly say that the former is a superior product. Maybe it's a matter of taste.

I will use this set for audiobooks or any other spoken word type of use. But for music, I don't think these will get much use from me. Shame because I love the laquer-red cable.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jan 2014 19:31:35 GMT
I'm sorry you felt this way. I thought that they were very good and the best earphones I have had.

Posted on 12 Jan 2014 22:01:22 GMT
Did you just vote negatively against my last 3 reviews?

Very, very immature if you did.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2014 11:09:42 GMT
Asphodelia says:
Me? No. I never 'neg' anyone. Someone, however, negged me. I thought that was you, funnily enough.
If I have issue against a review, I normally either ignore it or leave a comment.
Unfortunately, many other Viners prefer to vote others down.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2014 11:31:10 GMT
Yes, that is very true. I have suggested to Amazon a few times that Vine reviewers should not be able to vote up/down on other Vine reviewers. But no one ever listens to me.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2014 19:59:13 GMT
Asphodelia says:
Unfortunately there are a lot of spiteful people out there. I don't even post on the Vine forum anymore because every time I do, even for the most innocent reason, my reviews will get begged.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (63 customer reviews)

24.99 21.99
Reviewer

Asphodelia
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: Brighton, UK