3.0 out of 5 stars A nice easy read but could have done with a little more work., 11 July 2012
This review is from: Ready Player One (Paperback)
I was close to giving this book a 4 star rating but I just can't get the niggles out of my head. Firstly I just feel the book was not finished properly. It's all most like running face first into a brick wall with it's abruptness. Another chapter, for me, outlining what happens next would have been great. As there a few loose ends that should be tied up. But alas i doubt we will ever find out unless we get another book.

I also felt the geek references weighed sections of the books down. Sure I got them but I didn't think it needed so much of an explination. And at times I felt the characters were a little too one dimensional. You almost can predict what characters are going to be like pages before it's actually revealed.

The entire book feels like it's film waiting to be produced. Which is a great possibility as Warner has bought the rights to it. And thats one of my biggest niggle about this. It doesn't feel like I am reading a book. It feels like I am almost reading a plot outline for a film complete with script. It feels like the author is pitching it to a board of executives at a film studio rather than selling it to the reader.

Yet I have to admit I did enjoy the book. It was easy to read and worked well during my breaks on night duty. You could leave it for a while and come back and not have to recap the story from the previous pages. The geek and popculture references did bring a smile to my face especially the gaming and anime ones. Ready Player One is also a startling look at the way people interact with each other in our current times.

Many of the forms of interaction in the book are only slightly futurised versions of what are available to us now. And the way people interact with each other in the OASIS can be seen in current the current gaming world. For example it's easy to draw comparrisons between how people interact in the OASIS with the real world game The World of Warcraft. Friendships, rivals and even relationships happen in the game world just like it plays out in the book. So for someone who has never experienced this sort of human interaction will get a glimps of what it is actually like.

So yes it is an enjoyable book. Full of insight and geeky references. But I feel the niggles in it are just too much to ignore. Which is why I will stick to my 3 star rating.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]