4.0 out of 5 stars Good phone...poor battery (but it is salvageable!), 17 April 2012
This review is from: Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace Onyx Black (Electronics)
I bought this phone from Vodafone as a replacement for my absolutely woeful BlackBerry Torch 9800. I had previously had a HTC Desire Z and I knew I wanted to go back to an Android phone, due to the large selection of apps (unlike BlackBerry). If you want an inexpensive phone with a good camera, Android and a touchscreen, this is probably your best bet. I really like the phone, it is extremely user-friendly (the touchscreen text-messaging took me a while to become accustomed to, but altering the XT9 settings helped me massively). Samsung is a reliable brand, this is my fourth Samsung model and I've liked all of them. The screen is bright, clear and the widgets on the home screen are really handy (news, weather, Facebook, Twitter etc). However, as has been mentioned in previous reviews - things like this really sap the battery life, which isn't the best. However, there are a few neat little tricks to enhance your battery life.

1. Change your background to one with dark colours, the brightness will affect the length of your battery life.

2. Only download apps you're actually going to use! It seems common sense, but when I actually looked at the apps I'd downloaded, I realised I wasn't using half of them and they were draining my battery life.

3. Go into settings>wireless and networks>mobile networks>use only 2G networks. If you're out and about i.e. at work or in a meeting, whereby you're not going to be using your internet for anything, TURN OFF 3G. It's an unnecessary battery drainer. You'll still be able to receive and send texts and calls, and apps such as Kik and Whatsapp will also still work (albeit at a slower rate if you wish to send pictures etc). Turn it on when you want to browse the internet, and if you can, set up your wi-fi at home. This uses significantly less battery than connecting via 3G.

4. settings>location and security>uncheck "use wireless networks" and "use GPS satellites". All this does is finds your location when you wish to check yourself in on Twitter/Facebook or use your map apps. When you try to check yourself in or use Maps, your phone will automatically pop up saying "you need to turn on your GPS to do this" and you can click the link which will open your settings to allow you to do so, rather than leaving them running in the background constantly. MASSIVE battery drainer.

5. Most importantly, settings>Accounts and sync>uncheck "background data". If this box is checked, your phone constantly searches the internet for updates to your apps, (which you can do yourself manually in the Play Store). When you click on the Play Store link, it will pop up "turn on background data to enable browsing", then you check the box. Once again, rather than leaving it running constantly - which also means you may exceed your mobile internet allowance if it's not unlimited - your battery will feel much better!

6. If you're like me, and check Facebook and Twitter periodically, log out when you're not using it. Having them running in the background drains battery considerably. I personally find it really annoying when I get notifications from them anyway, so logging out is no skin off my nose.

Now that I've made these changes, I regularly take photos, constantly use Kik Messenger, text, make calls, log in and out of Facebook and Twitter a few times a day, and just generally mess around on my apps like Angry Birds, PicsArt, Amazon Kindle, check emails on Gmail app and Hotmail app etc, and it's great. My battery now lasts around a day and a half to two days, which is ideal for a smartphone.

Hope this helps!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Apr 2012 12:50:38 BDT
Hungry Joe says:
Many thanks, just the kind of review I needed! I hate those that go: 'does what it says on the tin'!

Posted on 29 May 2012 08:13:11 BDT
Read with great interest your review but could you please explain what and where are XT9 settings with respect to text messaging.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 11:47:57 BDT
A. Lewins says:
Just bought this phone from virgin and was worried about the battery life which appears to be a problem with this phone. I'll be using your tips to prolong its use between charges. Many Thanks

Posted on 29 Jun 2012 16:10:51 BDT
Steve.J says:
Thank you for an excellent product review and for your hints on extending battery life. Reviews like this show how it should be done. Most of the tips you have given also apply to the Samsung Galaxy Mini, which I own. I hope you do not mind but I have suggested people read your review of the ACE, in my review of the Galaxy Mini.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 20:57:35 BDT
Qwerty says:
This has been a useful review for me as I am completely new to smartphones and thinking of upgrading from an old Nokia 1208 that is in the process of dying on me. I usually charge that around once a week or less and I'm not a heavy user, so I'd like a phone that lasts as long as that. I am PAYG and concerned about data usage. Is it possible to do everything you do on just 200MB a month?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 22:50:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Nov 2012 10:05:50 GMT
To be honest, if you have wireless in your house, your data allowance should be quite low.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 22:53:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Nov 2012 10:07:25 GMT
XT9 settings are in the test messaging settings - you go onto the texting and click the settings button and it's all there. You can alter words and change everything. That is one advantage Samsung has over iPhone - the texting settings are great. Sorry for the late reply, didn't receive a notification email!

Posted on 15 Jul 2012 08:52:18 BDT
Rosie says:
Very helpful information for a new user.
Thanks very much.

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 14:35:16 BDT
Crookedmouth says:
Great tips - my first smart phone, so this is a very helpful review. Thanks

Posted on 5 Aug 2012 07:29:35 BDT
Hope this helps? You bet it does! Many thanks :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›