5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring, intriguing, interesting read, 17 April 2014
This review is from: A Switch in Time (Kindle Edition)
Wow! Having just finished this, and read the last line in the book, I'm covered in goosebumps. Or perhaps it was the culmination of everything on the last page, but the final line was when the goosebumps hit me and I felt that warm, fuzzy feeling you get when something really rings true within you, in the very core of your being.

This has been a brilliant reading experience for me. The story was fantastic. I could go on and on listing a number of words that mean "good" or "great", but I'll try to elaborate without giving much of the storyline away...

I've said it before in reviews, but I find myself saying it again here. I always describe my idea of true love, as "a love that outlives even death", and the love in this book encapsulated my saying entirely.

The story was well thought through, and tied up in a perfect bow at the end. Though I of course wonder, what will become of Victorian Alice (if you've read the book, you'll know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, I'll say no more as I can't spoil it).

I felt I found a new interest in the Victorian era, thanks to A Switch in Time. I had always been interested in the Steampunk lifestyle and clothing that we have today, but this has given me a new interest. I feel like I want to know more about the period, the revolution that was steam powered machines, how average families lived their day-to-day lives and so on.

I will add, simply to be honest and get it out of the way, there are errors in the book, which are easily fixed. I think there was a bit much italic font or caps lock going on too. I think as a reader, we already know when to emphasize things by the information we're given, surroundings, learning to know the characters and so on. But (and it's a big but), I only mention it as I always keep my reviews honest and true to my experience, not to hurt the author or editor involved in any way, that isn't my intention, and for me personally, a spelling error is trivial when weighed up against the worth and value of a great story.

All that aside, I abso-friggen-lutely loved this book. I desperately needed this reading experience to lift me out of my funk. And it certainly did that, with gusto!

Usually, I'd give an outline on the book I've just read, in my review, but this time I actually want to avoid doing that. I don't want to take anything away from the story. The way it reads, the way things happen, how things happen, when they happen; it's all perfect for the story being told, so I don't want to accidentally drop a spoiler on anyone.

I loved the science fiction element of the story, as you might guess from the title or blurb, it involves time travel. Usually I never read any sci-fi type books, so I was pleasantly surprised by how interesting the time travel aspect in this book was. Specifically the time travel of the main characters: 2 pairs of people, each pair being a brother and a sister.

There's also some really sweet romance in there, but not too much. The book doesn't revolve around it by any means. There's much more than the romance going on here. The love aspect is very much, sort of another branch off from the main story. You have the main story and each character takes you on their own individual adventure too. So it keeps you intrigued and wanting to discover who does what next.

I found the metamorphosis of Alicia really great. Her character truly inspired and reminded me, that each of us hold within us, from birth, the power to change our lives and for me, now was an opportune time for that reminder.

I also want to mention, I particularly liked how the author brought some Wiccan beliefs and practises into the story. It was a pleasant surprise and really well done. It offers people insight into that particular ceremony, how it's performed for Wiccans and what it really means to us. I can't elaborate much more than that without risking a spoiler, sorry! Lol.

There are a couple of brief sexual scenes, but I have to say you will not find any of the common words often used in sex scenes in this book. It's very sweet, romantic, polite and described in a way that evokes emotion in you, rather than hormones.

I'd also say the book was educational, for me anyway. I learned quite a bit that I genuinely didn't know beforehand.

To sum up... I personally really enjoyed reading this. It was very different (in a fabulous way) to the author's other books (The Reaper Series - which are also a good read). It took me out of the here and now and offered me a wondrous escape into a new world filled with intrigue, excitement, hope and ultimately, it was inspiring. So thank you to Mr Bernett for writing this. I'll definitely read this again in the future. Thank you to Mrs Bernett for helping Mr B. to get his writing out there for folk like me to read.

Reviewed by Sarah Fae of Fae Books Blog
》Disclaimer: I bought the Kindle copy of this book for myself from Amazon US. I have not and will not be compensated for my views. The opinions expressed here are my own.

[Add comment]