5.0 out of 5 stars Don't dispair: Easy workaround to play Halo Co-op games on a XBox 4gb, 5 Nov. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)
Don't panic if you've just discovered you can't play Halo ODST / Reach in online co-op mode because there is a very easy fix you can do. You will need an old style xbox hard drive but you can pick these up on [...] for £15-£20 delivered which is a damn site cheaper than the 250gb hard drive for the new slimline models.

I've just received my new Xbox 360 4gb this morning and what I had thought might be a moment of despair is in fact a minor triumph!

Yesterday whilst reading the reviews on here I read about the problems people are having with Xbox 360 Halo games in this new 4gb console due to the lack of a hard drive. First I'd heard of it.

Ironically this would never have been a problem in my previous 3 years of Xbox 360 ownership as I never played online...however now my wife fancies playing Halo in Co-Op it seems the 4gb xbox has a problem with this. My old 20gb Xbox 360 has the Red Ring of Death so I planned to repair that & with the new 4gb xbox I've just bought we could play at home together on my home network. now That was looking like it wasn't going to happen.

I did a lot of web research last night and for some stupid reason that Microsoft & Bungie couldn't be bothered to sort out before release, Halo ODST / Reach does need to detect an actual hard drive in the Xbox 360 to play online Co-op or firefight. This has nothing to do with available memory and 4gb is plenty unless you want to download lots and lots of content, just that the game needs to see a Hard Drive rather than flash memory. Microsoft say there will be a solution but there is no timescale for this.

BUT I also found something a whole lot better at the same time...someone in these reviews had already mentioned you could modify an old style xbox 360 hard drive to work in your new slimline 4gb xbox...but it seemed a bit complicated & I didn't pau it much attention as it seem like youd be fiddling with things that would void the warranty. What I did find was lots of forum links to a You Tube video showing exactly how this was done & I realised it was a piece of cake, and more importantly shouldn't effect any warranty issues as you were only adding an external hard drive - but it would solve my problem!!

Anyway, following the YouTube video I did it this morning...it took me literally 5 minutes to take apart the 20gb hard drive from my old RRoD'd xbox, and then 30 seconds to slide it into the empty hard drive bay on the new 4gb Xbox 360. Seriously, there's no fiddling or whittling required.

I turned on the new 4gb xbox and checked the settings & now it shows my 20gb hard drive - no problems! Now theres no reason it won't play Halo Co-op and I've no need to buy a 16gb flash drive as now I've all the storage I'm ever going to need on an xbox.

Oh and as this is meant to be a review, the new slimline xbox is a damn site quieter than my old 360 and operates to the same high levels of quality!

DISCLAIMER
==========
I am not encouraging you to do anything without doing your own research first. If you can't be bothered to do that you should just spend another £100 on a 250gb xbox 360 or wait for Microsoft to implement a solution. Or not play Halo Co-op on line.

Make sure you know the results of your research before attempting anything. Know what you are doing and be happy that YOU are happy with what you need to do.

THE ONLY REASON I POSTED THIS WAS TO SAY TO PEOPLE WHO MIGHT ONLY BE ABLE TO AFFORD A 4GB XBOX 360 OR MIGHT HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT ONE WITHOUT KNOWING ABOUT THE HALO ISSUES IN ADVANCE (AS I DID) THAT THERE IS A SOLUTION THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE THE INTERVENTION OF EITHER A BRAIN SURGEON OR A ROCKET SCIENTIST.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]