5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 10 July 2011
This review is from: Born at Midnight (A Shadow Falls Novel) (Paperback)
When Kylie Galen is forced by her mom to spend the summer at Shadow Camp, a camp for troubled teens, she thinks that she's in hell. But she has no idea that this summer and the new people she meets at the camp will change her whole life.
Kylie thinks that she's a normal, mostly boring teen. So she is shocked when people at Shadow Falls insist that she is special and that she has paranormal abilities. Just as everyone else who spends the summer at the camp.
Will Kylie be able to find out if she indeed has special abilities and will she find new friends at the camp?

"Born at midnight" is a book that made me forget time while reading it. I started it and the next time I consciously looked on the page number I was already on 167. So it's safe to say that I loved the authors writing style, the way she built her world and her characters.

What I liked about this book is that the author took the time to introduce the reader, together with Kylie, to the paranormal world. Nothing was rushed and still the story never was boring or dragging. I loved the close connection that I developed to Kylie and think C.C. Hunter did a great job with making her main character interesting and likable. Kylie's doubts were understandable and I enjoyed that she needed some time to get used to all the info she got about paranormal beings.

Another aspect of the book I enjoyed is that even though there was a love interest for Kylie (maybe even two), that was not the sole focus of the story. The friendship between Kylie and some of the camp members, the discovery of her unusual abilities and her relationship with her mom & dad were more important. Reading about the friendship that developed between Kylie, Della and Miranda (they share a house at camp) was great and one of my highlights.

I furthermore liked how the relationship between Kylie and her mom was portrayed. Both had to learn anew to listen to the other and it was great to read how their relationship had changed towards the end of the story.

The only thing I didn't like about "Born at midnight" was that there is the possibilty of a love triangle. I'm tired of them and hopefully it will not play a major part in book #2. Other than that I loved reading "Born at midnight" and I'm very excited to read how the story will go on.

cover
I like the cover and the atmosphere that is created through it, but I don't like the girl on it. She doesn't fit to the story and looks to glamorous.

final appraisal
"Born at midnight" is a captivating book that made me forget the time while reading it. The story is addicting and not only young adults or readers of paranormal stories should enjoy this first book in the Shadow Falls series.
I would recommend this book to all readers who enjoy reading about a fascinating paranormal world and unusual friendships.

what to read next by the author
Ok, yet another series to add to my reading list. "Awake at dawn", book #2 in the series, will be out in October 2011 and my copy is already preordered. I just hope that the love triangle plot will be resolved quickly.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]