5.0 out of 5 stars A fairly alright introduction to the Nuclear Blast roster, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Built To Blast - Vol 1 (MP3 Download)
The 5 Stars is largely meaningless, mostly for being free. I have reviewed all the songs below.

While I haven't heard all the bands in the list before the download, I have been following Nuclear Blast for a number of years as they tend to have most of my favourite bands signed up to them so I know a fair few here.

I am going to list a track by track review and as it is a mixed album and I have certain tastes it will be balanced in favour of the bands I like. All subjective really. There's only 1 song that is pure garbage, in my opinion.I like what I like and other people will like what they like.

For anybody just introduced to the music, who comes upon my review, I will offer some bands you may want to look into if you like the same type of bands as I do on this album mix. (Such as Epica, Grand Magus, Sabaton and Threshold.)

Score:
1= Awful
2= Listen-able maybe but meh
3= Average
4= Good
5= Great

1. Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't by Anthrax

Probably the most well known band on the list, the song is good but it doesn't do much for me I've heard it all before so very forgettable.
3/5

2. An Honourable Reign by Bury Tomorrow

I don't really like metalcore. The sub-genre due to its more mainstream appeal, tends to mean most bands are clones of one another, (the same song structure, good looking young males and so on) and Bury Tomorrow doesn't really break that mold, they are better than a lot of their fellow bands so maybe they have potential in the future but this song is fairly paint by numbers. Meh.

3. Thoughts Like Hammers by Enslaved

Okay this song is on the side of metal that likes to do the clean and harsh singing combo but be somewhat weird with it. It is okay to a degree somewhat, the harsh vocals sound somewhat silly even for harsh vocals itself, it also clashes not very well with the clean singing parts and the song is too long and boring. (Note I often listen to song over 20 minutes long so it isn't because of the length itself)

4. Storm The Sorrow by Epica

Epica is a band I really love, I own the album to which this song is on. Their best work is always on their albums, this song like the others before it are single songs are created for mass appeal and isn't representative much of their true sound. If you like them check out their other songs, for example 'Requiem for the Indifferent' (also the album title, note there is small harsh singing parts often in their music, which may take some time for some people to get used to but it is possible it won't ruin the enjoyment of the songs) is more them, than Storm the Sorrow. StS as the single song is much much better though than previous single songs from them, which tend to have been fairly bland.

5. Valhalla Rising by Grand Magus

I got into Grand Magus recently, I'm not sure I have much to say other than they are a very enjoyable band, the song sums up their sound so if you like it you'll probably like their other songs. I also recommend listening to the song 'Son of the Last Breath', that is a rare song that goes a bit out of their comfort zone and is a masterpiece.

6. Endless Night by Graveyard

I found it boring. I'm not a fan of the retro rock sound. (Don't get me wrong I like old rock bands. But there is a difference between being restricted by technology and purposely recreating the sound)

7. Put It To The Torch by Hatebreed

Short, dull, angry US dude is angry, music. An example of an overexposed, terrible, partially mainstream band. (Meaning they get more attention within the general metal subgenre media than more deserving bands.)

1/5

8. Phantom Antichrist by Kreator

I'm not a big fan of Kreator. I saw them live at a festival though, they were amazing, like a true party in hell. I like the song but it isn't something I would listen to aside once or twice.

3.5/5

9. Break Those Bones Who Sinews Gave It Motion by Meshuggah

I don't have much to say I don't really it all that much.

10. Power & Volume by Free Fall

Again I don't like the retro rock sound. It is fairly boring and sounds like a copy of loads of older songs.

2/5

11. Carolus Rex (Swedish Version) by Sabaton (It is in English too)

Ah Sabaton. Sabaton have always been an incredibly naturally very very manly, enjoyable band, but they never reached above merely good until the release of their recent Carolus Rex album. The album is proof that you can make a truly great album while not being technically superior musicians or relying on being extremely pompous. The album is in both Swedish and English. This song is the Swedish version and I am told the lyrics are superior in Swedish but if you are like me and don't understand a word of Swedish, seek out the English version, it is still a phenomenally grand song/album.

5/5

12. Spectrum of Eternity by Soilwork

*Note: People who can listen to harsh vocals are only going to like this.*

I rarely like Soilwork and haven't heard all of their new album but from what I've heard of it, the songs are actually surprisingly really good, much better than anything they have done in years. This song is no different.

13. Born Anew by Sylosis

I can listen to harsh vocals but often I don't like them, because I either find it boring or it just sounds like random shouting over the music, not with the music. This is the former, boring.

14. True American Hate by Testament

I don't really like thrash all that much, it is decent but I would never bother with it again.

2.5/5

15. Ashes by Threshold

I also own the latest album by Threshold, March of Progress. It is also my favourite album by them. It is very close to perfection for me, I just do not get tired of it even after many many months. Ashes is not the strongest song and is in single territory, being the song with most mass appeal on the album, but it isn't dumbed down. Like the album it is smart and relates to growing world wide problems in politics without being preachy or tedious for the causal listener.

4.5/5

Further Recommendations

I like bands such Epica, Grand Magus, Threshold and Sabaton so if you do too then check out the below, in no particular order:

Nightwish, Kamelot, Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Xandria, Hammerfall, Seventh Wonder, Visions of Atlantis (early stuff is a bit bad), Serenia, Sonata Arctica, Serenity, Therion, Within Temptation, Avantasia, Edguy, Delain, Communic, Seven Kingdoms, Circus Maximus, Amorphis, Rage, Rhapsody of Fire, Stratovarius,Iced Earth and Van Canto.

If you like Soilwork I recommend bands like Scar Symmetry and Solution.45.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]