5.0 out of 5 stars comments from a 4 month owner's point of view, 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R3000 A3+ Colour Inkjet Printer (Personal Computers)
Here is my Epson R3000 review after 4 months of ownership.

1.Ink consumption:

I guess the second most important aspect of a printer is it's ink consumption (first being, obviously, print quality).

I have printed 20 a3+, apprx 40 A6 (10x15cm) and 30 13x18 printouts. All of them "borderless" for that matter. Of these, 2 a3+ were black and whites and 5-6 13x18 were B&W also, rest were color prints, both landscapes and portraits.

By now I have *just* changed Light Magenda (T1576) and Light Cyan (T1575) ink cartridges, while Light Light Black (LLK - T1579) and Light Black (LK - T1577) are extremely low on ink but still useable and Photo Black (T1571) ink is low on ink. The other ink cartridges, namely Magenda, Cyan and Yellow are somewhere near the middle. I never used Matte Black ink so far so it's still recognized as "full".
Fit to mention that I printed the aforementioned volume in three occasions, that means I open the printer apprx once every 40 days, I print 10-20 photos of various sizes, then turn it off and leave it. I never observed a "nozzle clean" phase, which means the print heads of my R3000 did not require *any* cleaning so far despite the prolonged shutdown periods between operations. This is unlike any previous printer I had which required a shorter or longer - depending on model- print head auto cleaning procedure after 7-15 days of inactivity. I have read else in other comments, but that is my personal experience with this printer.

2. Print quality

I will not say much in this section. Print quality is unsurpassed.

Correct ICC profiles for monitor, printer&paper are required for pro results. Epson provides ICC profiles for its papers but the monitor's profile must be separately installed. I have an LG W2600HP 27" monitor and once I discovered and installed it's own ICC profile I found that color / gama differences between my monitor and the printouts were almost eliminated whereas prior to installing the monitor's ICC, I often had issues with the printouts being significantly different from what I was viewing (and editing) on the monitor....

3. Paper handling.

I obviously haven't printed that many papers but I have experimented with various sizes. I always fed a3+ papers one by one but I stacked up to 20 of the smaller sheets. 0 faults so far... paper handling has so far been flawless and this despite the fact that my a3+ pack arrived with the sheets dented on one edge (a slight clicking could be heard while the print head was printing over the dented area but the print was not smudged and paper never jammed).

4. other features.

I connect R3000 to the router with a cable. This resulted in a flawless connection so far, despite several router restarts over these past 4 months.

R3000 has a nice informative little screen that displays ink levels. R3000 warns you a bit too early about ink cartridge changes. The driver message reads " "[color]" ink is low. You can continue printing or change the ink"... The printer screen shows a "!" over that ink icon. I found out that I should not change the ink at that stage. When the ink drains completely, the printer screen will display an X over that ink and then I change the cartridge. I suppose EPSON wants to prevent a specific ink cartridge draining completely in the middle of a3+ print job but so far I guess I was lucky, allowing the cartridges to reach an "X" status before changing them ...

R3000 is very silent to the point that it is almost inaudible. R3000 does not generate vibration while printing. On the other hand R3000 is HEAVY (15KGr apporx) and large. I keep it on a sturdy shelf, I do not use the rare roller system and I do not plan on using special papers, so I placed the printer against the wall. If you plan on using roll paper media or special media (loaded horizontally front to back) , significant clearance behind the printer is required....

Cartridge change is easy and simple. Unlike smaller printers cartridges do not move with the print heads and are accessible by opening the main cover and then a smaller cover in the front side of the printer beneath the main cover.

5. Final note

R3000 is not meant for text printing. Personally, I was "forced" to buy a small sized Samsung wifi / b&w laser printer (ML2160) for text prints.

[Add comment]