ARRAY(0xb5bf4ee8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Instead of the Ipad, 29 May 2010
This review is from: MacBook Pro 13inch 2.4GHz (Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics, SD card slot, up to 10 hour battery life) (Electronics)
I bought this a bit on impulse and was probably spurred on by the danger of purchasing an ipad (released in the UK this week) instead. I'm not convinced by the ipad at all, but my old Dell Latitiude X300 (a fantastic purchase five years ago) has seen better days and a Samsung Netbook was annoying me with its small screen, so I opted for my first ever Mac Book.
First impressions were that it is a fantastic looking bit of kit, feels solid as a rock and has a crystal clear screen that just dazzles you as it sets up. Like Windows, the set up takes you through a mildly annoying registration process, but soon enough I'd completed it and was ready to go.
The keyboard is quite spaced out and the keys feel responsive and satisfying to touch. It's backlit too, and looks sublime. The large touchpad is completely clickable and has several multi-finger functions that I've yet to work out but are similar to the iphone's shrink and zoom manoeuvers.
I've never used a Mac before but the basics seemed fairly straightforward in terms of what did this and what did that. No doubt as I become more used to it I'll find benefits and drawbacks versus Windows. I then installed Office for Mac, which I'd also purchased, and started typing this review. This was when I noticed that the edge of the laptop is rubbing against the metal wrist-strap of my watch as I type, which is rather annoying. Maybe I'll work out a way to avoid this going forward.
As I used it, I noticed that the Mac didn't heat up as much as other laptops I've worked on, which is good. Connecting to my home network was a breeze, just enter the password during set up and that was it. The browser is Apple's Safari, with the interface seeming smooth, fast and clear, but pretty soon I'd downloaded Google's Chrome browser for the Mac and synched all my bookmarks from there.
Having used Windows for years, the initial experience of using the Mac Book is a learning process. I suppose I have to accept there will be niggles - for instance, I was irritated to find that I just couldn't easily find the Windows computers on my home network to copy over photographs and files, but no doubt there is a way to do it. (Perhaps it just means that I just have to migrate even more stuff to Google Docs and accept that I am Google's [].)
Overall, I'm pretty impressed by this product and am hoping that I'll be a bit of a convert to Macs in about six months - there must be a reason their users rave about them so much. Much as I've enjoyed Windows, I feel that the future for hardware lies in which piece of kit can access and enhance the internet experience the best, which is why I've decided to move across and try the Mac. My Dell lasted me about five years of almost daily use and I'm hoping for at least that from this machine, given the cost versus other laptops these days. Given that it's Apple, it will probably still look good at that point!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jun 2010 03:39:20 BDT
Owen says:
I`ve got to agree with all the praise, which is thoroughly deserved. I also have to agree with the one issue that is bugging me and that is the hard edge of the Mac where my wrists are when typing. I`ve only just had my Mac and consequently have only done a little bit of typing, but this edge really seems to cut into the bottom of the wrists. I think they need to bevel it or make it a lot softer edge. In the meantime, to use this great machine comfortably, it looks like I`m going to have to buy a gel pillow for my wrists.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2010 08:29:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2010 08:29:21 BDT
M. Johnston says:
It isn't really that bad is it? I do agree that metal watches get in the way, however. You just need to adjust your typing position slightly.

Posted on 12 Jul 2010 19:56:45 BDT
Ryan Magwood says:
Ahh you can't risk scratching something as beautiful as a Macbook pro with a watch! :-O
The best way to transfer data across a local area network through you wireless router is to actualy use your PC and open up your Mac and drag and drop your stuff into it 'cause its harder to do. :]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2010 13:47:03 BDT
M. Bulley says:
While I agree that it can be very uncomfertable the fact is you are not supposed to wrest your wrists on anything while typing. It's unhealthy mostly because of the pain you described above. Try changing the typing postion as described below so that you are above or level with the mac.

Posted on 14 Aug 2010 23:13:52 BDT
J. Jones says:
How easy is it to set up, as although this is a fantastic price, i am reluctant to buy it online as i wont have the help of a mac genius in-store to help me.

Posted on 31 Aug 2010 14:20:55 BDT
Andy J says:
"Just dont type on it that way"

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2010 16:02:01 BDT
A mixed Windows/Mac environment is not too difficult. Turn on sharing on all machines. You all need to be in the same workgroup, default WORKGROUP. The Mac uses SMB// as a windows prefix, so....smb//IP address of the Windows machine/My Documents or Windows login ID and away you go. Windows to Mac is a bit less easy but you can persevere and it does work. Great then forsharing
‹ Previous 1 Next ›