3.0 out of 5 stars A compromise too far, 28 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Archos 502041 Gen 9 8 inch Tablet (1.5Ghz ARM processor, 1GB RAM, 250GB Hardrive, Android 3.2 Honeycomb (upgradeable to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (Personal Computers)
First of all just to confirm that I received the 1.5GHz / 1GB RAM "Turbo" version with Ice Cream Sandwich already installed. This however does not have a micro SD card slot despite the Amazon description.

I have been looking for a portable device that will allow me to store my entire music collection (ripped as lossless FLAC) so when I came across this I thought it would be decent bet. I am kind of spoilt for choice in our house as I own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (only issue with this is the limited 16GB storage) and the other half has an Asus Transformer Prime plus a new iPad from work.

Pros
====
Decent CPU. The tablet feels responsive and seems to be more powerful than my Galaxy Tab
Storage. With a 250GB hard drive this has much more storage that most other devices.

Cons
====
Battery Life. I was expecting a bit of a hit on battery life but on my (length) commute the other day I started off on 89%, listened to one double album and by the end the battery was on 65%. Got to work and listened to two more albums and was then down to 35%. In comparison I have often used my Galaxy Tab for music playback for several hours in a row with probably 20% battery use (and that also have a 3G radio in)

Screen. The screen is 4:3 which feels slightly odd to start with but the major issue is the actual quality of the screen. The viewing angle is very poor and the quality does not compare up to any of the other tablets we have.

Weight. My first thought on picking this up was "wow that is heavy". Just weighed it and it comes in at 658g compared to 445g for the similarly sized Galaxy tab or 585g for the much bigger Transformer Prime. This is enough to make it uncomfortable to hold in one hand or when out and about.

Summary
=======
I was struggling to figure out what rating to give this device as yes it is not as good as other tablets we own but it is under half the price of any of the others. I was thinking that this was still pretty good value for money but whilst I have been thinking about this review Google have announced that their Nexus 7 will be £199 for a 16GB version I am not sure it is any longer.

I could have probably lived with any one of these issues on their own but adding them all together is a compromise too far for me. The search will go on for a portable device with large storage and decent battery life...

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]