1.0 out of 5 stars All Style.....No Substance......., 10 May 2010
This review is from: Avatar (DVD + Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
I know I'm probably going to be shot down in flames from all the die hard Avatar fans for writing this review - but I need to have a rant, so here goes. Firstly, I get the feeling that many of the people who rave about this film don't have a true opinon, and are yelling about how good it is, because they feel there is no alternative but to enjoy it. After you've heard for the 80th time that this is the most amazing film ever made - it's easy to feel that not liking it is wrong. Couple this with the fact that people are obviously getting off on the fact that they might be one day asked by their grandchildren where they were when they first heard about Avatar and if they saw it at the cinema etc etc

Personally, I don't buy it!!

I agree with another review on here that states it was enjoyable until the last 158 minutes kicked in! The opening 3D shots in space are fantatsic, but the novelty wore off just as soon as you realise that the script is appalling. Full of cheesy quotes and constantly cliche - for a film that took nearly 10 years to make, it sounds like they forgot about the script and wrote it overnight at the last minute, with an abundance of coffee and cigarettes at their disposal!

This film would have got another star from me had it been an hour shorter - it really does drag - and all the way through you know exactly how things are going to end - it really was a waste of time. I hear you - "Chill out man - it's a sci-fi movie". I know - but do yourself a favour - watch Blade Runner or if you're a younger viewer, Tron!

Overall - yep - very impressive cinematography - but at the same time the most bored I've ever been in a cinema. I'd rather watch Last of The Summer wine or Heartbeat back to back for 3 hours.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 May 2010 23:13:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 May 2010 23:14:29 BDT
Magic Lemur says:
Personally, I respect a man who is honest. I enjoyed it, although I am easily pleased & the script was a bit corny in large parts.

No doubt you will get trolls, but I refuse to be one of them & I applaud you for your honesty.

It's funny how people can see the speck in their neighbours eye but not the log in their own, & how many knock organised religion and yet cannot see their own irrational, herd-like adulation of films such as this...

Posted on 11 May 2010 00:29:44 BDT
Sera69 says:
I'm not trolling but, Heartbeat? Back to back for 3 hours? Holey moley, nothing's that bad!

lol
:D

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2010 09:32:47 BDT
Mr. N. EVANS says:
Cheers Tim! I enjoyed reading that - of course - I wasn't mocking people like yourself who genuinely enjoyed the film and accept that it did have it's flaws!

See you at church.....

Posted on 12 May 2010 00:55:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jun 2010 20:49:32 BDT
It's fine to have an adverse opinion, about a film, that goes against the majority as long as your views are sincerely felt. However, why do you assume that the majority are not sincere about their opinions? You are typically falling into the trap of one-star reviewers who think that they know better than the 'deluded majority' and, as such, your review is at best, misguided, at worst, insulting.

You should just state why you dislike a film and leave it at that and not make sweeping statements about other people which you cannot possibly substantiate. This is just guesswork on your part.

How could you possibly know for a 'fact' what people are 'getting off on'? This statement is simply inane.

Incidentally, I am a diehard Avatar fan but I always appreciate a dissenting view as long as it is properly expressed; unfortunately yours is not. It's all substance but no style.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2010 14:15:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 May 2010 14:17:07 BDT
Mr. N. EVANS says:
Thanks for your response - and I'm sorry if you found my review insulting. My point was, that I know a lot of people who bang on about how amazing this film is but after seeing it in the cinema, I just can't understand. This is my opinion - and believe me, it's very sincere.

I would like to know, as a diehard fan of this film what exactly you think is original or enthralling about the story? I understand, it looks great, but that's where it stops for me. As most people have suggested, it's just a Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas pastiche - and sorry - agree or not, the script is appalling. Even if it is meant to appeal to people of all ages - there are still disney or dreamworks films with brilliant scripts and stories, that engage viewers on many different levels. This, in my opinion, does not.

And in reference to people "getting off" - I didn't say this was a universal thing, but there are definitely people who are ignoring many flaws in this film, and just focusing on the "3D cinema experience".

Again, I'm not saying everybody is the same - I was just stating that there seems to be a lot of people who are sheep and not shepherd's when it comes to "Avatar" - I am, however, glad you enjoyed the film.

Posted on 12 May 2010 19:30:53 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 27 May 2010 17:30:14 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2010 19:59:42 BDT
Mr. N. EVANS says:
That's not very nice skippy. I would've expected more constructive criticism from a fellow Pink Floyd fan....

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2010 01:25:01 BDT
This is an inappropriate comment and I have reported it as abuse on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2010 10:25:38 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 13 May 2010 10:26:28 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2010 11:13:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 May 2010 15:44:42 BDT
I am a new reviewer and, like you, I have written just one review. My thoughts on the originality of films are covered in some depth in my review of Avatar (which you may, or may not, like to read) and I do not intend to repeat them here. Everyone has an opinion about a film and my trying to convince you that Avatar is a good film when you obviously believe it is not would be an act of sheer folly and a waste of my time.

Please don't think that my comments are a personal attack on you as they are not. What I most object to (and you are not alone in this) is reviewers who attempt to pass off sweeping statements they cannot possibly prove as established fact. Whether people are 'sheep' or not would be impossible to prove unless you were personally acquainted with the people in question and knew their level of gullibility. They might simply be expressing their own honest appreciation of a film they happen to like.

Another common aspect of one-star reviewer's comments is the 'why can't people see this is a really bad film' type of attitude. I find this deplorable as it implies that the reviewers in question think that they are blessed with some deep insight not granted to the 'deluded majority' when really all they are trying to do is project their own dislike of a film onto others.

I accept that the story of Avatar is not wholly original but what film is these days.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,584 customer reviews)
 (1,085)