4.0 out of 5 stars DON'T DRINK THE COFFEE...., 26 April 2012
This review is from: The Vanishing aka Spoorloos [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
The remake of The Vanishing is not all that bad to be honest,but as is the way the original 1988 Vanishing is the superior version but both movies kind of operate at different levels.
As to be expected the remake employs a sanitised Hollywood approach whilst the original basks in its european sensibilities.
The portrayal of a sociopath in the original is truly unnerving,capturing the banality of evil as the abductor test runs his kidnap plan,timing his moves to the second,picking up his daughters,having dinner with the wife....
This monster is far more terrifying to me then a hockey mask wearing kid with a mushy face.Its about total control.
The Vanishing is a taut thriller well worth watching....both versions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Apr 2012 00:09:00 BDT
West25 says:
Spoorloos is a fantastic film, i'm amazed it isn't far better known than it is. I actually really like the remake with Kiefer Sutherland and Jeff Bridges, I thought they were both excellent in it and it gets a lot of very harsh criticism, i'm convinced if it wasn't a remake it wouldn't get anywhere near the level of hate it gets. Glad to hear that you and your daughter are getting better after a bad cold, weren't the two of you basically bed stricken just a month or so ago with the same thing, seems like you've been very unlucky in the last couple of months. I've tried to stay of here most of the last week or so, as i've spent about another £120 here since we last spoke, I looked in now and then and was quite surprised to see no new reviews or comments from you.

Posted on 27 Apr 2012 02:14:20 BDT
mister joe says:
Great to hear from you West 25.I have had a terrible time this week,its been a bad time for bugs.My poor little girl is getting better thank goodness i can only assume because she is only two she is more suspetible to picking up bugs.Obviously then when i am looking after her i get all the snot!I think its her playgroup to be honest lots of kids,lots of germs!
I am still pretty ill now,i have barely eaten in a week.Its funny spend a couple of days off amazon it feels like years.I thought i'd try and write a few reviews but i struggled,i did not do this movie justice.I could barely think of sentences.
Wow 120 pounds!Thats a lot West 25....amazon must love you.What did you get?
I am going to have to go to bed,thanks for comments West25.If i don't reply this is due to my rather frazzled state not ignoring you.
All the best.

Posted on 27 Apr 2012 02:49:04 BDT
West25 says:
I was really ill last year for about 10 days, I lost over a stone. I could do with catching whatever I got last time again, i've started to get a bit podgy with all the booze and what not catching up on me now i'm just a few years from 30. At least you seem to be getting over it, i'll look forward to seeing you attack someone on a forum for sounding like an old lady that drinks horlicks and has a blanket covering their withered knees. I think your slightly confrontational posts have been a loss recently, the what did you watch last night forum especially.

I feel like Amazon should sometimes send me some free stuff for all the money I spend here, of course I choose to spend the money and I always feel awkward getting anything for free anyway. I definitely have an addiction to buying dvds, as it seems i'm buying them at a faster rate than I can watch them. I always eventually go a few months where I hardly buy anything, so it balances out the mad months. Just recently I bought The Gore-Gore Girls, Hell Of The Living Dead, Black Water, Albino Alligator, The Serpent And The Rainbow, The Thirteenth Floor, Strange Behaviour, Appaloosa, Madhouse, Prom Night, And Soon The Darkness, Eerie Indiana, Kolchak Night Stalker, Patrick, Peacemaker, Komodo, Dorothy, Manhattan Baby, Nightmare City, Baba Yaga, Phantom Of Death, The Designated Victim, Night Of The Demons, The Last Cannibal World, Circus Of Fear, Happy Birthday To Me, Monster Man, Wax Mask, I Spit On Your Grave, Dead Of Winter, Pumpkinhead, Undead, Death Of A Ghost Hunter and a couple more. That's just in the last week or two, and it's been similar to that since christmas. I will (need to) take a break soon and spend a few months catching up with unwatched films and rewatching a few favourites before decimating my bank account on dvds again.

Posted on 27 Apr 2012 03:46:22 BDT
mister joe says:
You got some good ones there West25,Eerie Indiana is great,heard of some of them though not all.I just watched Jagged Edge which was enjoyable fluff.I most definetly would like some free stuff,i certainly think amazon could shout you a few dvds.
The forums have got really boring,everyone seems to have the agenda of making themselves look great.With the what did you watch last night forum everyone seems to have extremely cultured taste.Strange really when i watch the box its Eastenders,The Apprentice....i will admit it i even watch The Voice.
I think people just say they watched this cool film or whatever but minus the rubbish gameshow or awful soap.
I would personally rather hear about the naff soap to be honest.Or that documentary about the kid with a hideous turtle shell like lump on his back.
Another thing that is irritating me is the lectures,like no one knows anything.Even a forum about drugs is boring.
Its getting hard to insult anyone!So for the meantime West25 think i will just be chatting with you about all the stuff we've bought!
Now time for bed.Take two.

Posted on 27 Apr 2012 06:39:29 BDT
West25 says:
I can't stand soaps and reality tv, but in a way I wish I did, it would give me even more options on what to watch. I got a little annoyed on the What Did You Watch Last Night thread, the last few times i've said what i've watched, it seems that no one even reads it. A few months ago when we were both posting on there almost daily, people were regularly talking about their opinions on what's been watched, now it's down to maybe a post a day with just another program or film watched and no discussion, making the thread pointless in my mind. It is funny like you pointed out that everybody seems to be sat at home watching art house films or something else pretentious, nobody seems to be watching Come Dine With Me, Emmerdale, Eastenders and then a very boring channel 4 documentary about a bloke with an embarrassing illness. I'm pretty much only posting on the occasional horror thread from now on, there's some really knowledgeable, cool people like Anthony M Dawson there, and as horror is by far my favourite genre anyway, it seems to make more sense. Of course i'll still be regularly checking out your reviews, along with a few others like Nelson. I'm out drinking all day saturday, so I might sit down and do a review or two on sunday whilst recovering.

Posted on 12 May 2012 10:10:59 BDT
BoatDrinks says:
Hello Joe, how's it going? I've been enjoying your recent reviews, so keep on scribbling. As for The Vanishing, well i like the original alot despite the slightly dull way some of it was directed. A genuinely disturbing film with a brilliant villain and nightmarish end. But honestly i thought the remake was appalling. Unlike alot of viewers, I've got no problem at all with remakes in general (though of course most are pretty bad). The way i see it, it doesn't really matter whether a remake is good or bad, the original remains the same anyway. The 1993 "Vanishing" just gets EVERYTHING wrong- casting is terrible (Jeff Bridges is way off as the killer, provoking giggles instead of tension), dialogue is embarrassing, really badly directed and must have some of the worst costume design in film history. I mean, do you remember what Kiefer Sutherland is wearing in his first few scenes? If not, check it out again and i guarantee you'll be in hysterics within seconds. But the worst aspect of the 1993 version is is that it's completely pointless- they've modified it to the point where it's basically a tv movie. And that final scene in the restaurant is definitive proof that Hollywood producers are just morons with money.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2012 23:30:44 BDT
Samantha says:
I agree. I hated the remake myself just on the basis of what everyone else was saying. But just this evening I happened by its trailer on Youtube and it actually does not look so bad and seeing as it has a different ending I am going to buy it and I am sure I will enjoy watching it :) Enjoyed the original but I have watched it too many times now!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (53 customer reviews)

£12.99 £12.73