11 of 14 people found the following review helpful
Easy to set up, almost impossible to customise...,
This review is from: Logitech UE Smart Radio - Black (Electronics)
Looks like a Squeezebox radio, sounds like a Squeezebox radio but if you're familiar with the SB Radio and are looking for a replacement / additional unit you may want to look elsewhere.
- Easy to set up. Log in to your wifi and you'll be listening to internet radio almost immediately through the built-in apps. TuneIn Radio is available out of the box giving you the ability to find internet radio stations by genre, region etc.
- The UE Smart Radio website [...] allows you to add apps which open up a wider range of online content including BBC Radio streaming, RadioFeeds UK for a comprehensive listing of internet radio feeds in the UK. There are a number of other apps offering streamed content, many of which look interesting.
- Sound quality is good.
- Built-in battery is good for portability. (SB Radio battery is sold as an extra)
- Fade-in of alarm sounds. This is an excellent feature (also on the original SB Radio) and should feature on more clock-radio alarms.
- BBC Podcasts can be found via the TuneIn Radio app, BUT because TuneIn Radio does not allow you to set the region you are in, the BBC podcasts are unavailable for access / cannot be played (says they are "forbidden"). This MAY be resolved in future releases of apps for the UE Smart Radio, but users should be aware. If you want to listen to BBC "Listen Again" content, then this is NOT available at present.
- Logitech have changed the media server software so that the previously available Logitech Media Server is now the UE Media Library software. No big deal if you are used to running this from your Mac or PC but I have dedicated LMS kit serving my music and apps which would NOT work with the UE Smart Radio (Raspberry Pi + Squeezeplug + USB drive). SB Radio setup relied on the mySqueezebox.com servers if you didn't have a local LMS server, and occasionally these have failed - most recently after the Storm Sandy hit the East cost of the USA.
- What the Squeezebox community had going for it was an open-source development community that allowed a HUGE number of applications / add-ins and widgets for the SB Radio. Unfortunately with the UE Smart Radio it looks like this "tweakability" has been lost. For some this is a minor issue, but it certainly limits what you can do with this device to whatever Logitech and UE want you to be able to do. Which is a shame.
8/10 for ease of setup
8/10 for the hardware
4/10 for the add-ons available via uesmartradio.com (may ultimately improve)
2/10 for the ability to "Listen Again" to BBC content / podcasts
1/10 for the ability to customise.