5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth as silk!, 23 Mar 2012
This review is from: Apple iPad (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black) 3RD GENERATION (Personal Computers)
I had used a friend's iPad 2 before and that helped me make the decision that I did actually want a tablet computer to use around the home. I had thought long and hard about an Android tablet before taking the plunge and buying the new iPad. Where I think the iPad scores is in its sheer quality of build and simplicity, and also the existence of many "newstand publishers" that publish iPad versions of their publications but not Android versions. Also, I notice in the workplace iPads seem far more prevalent than Android tablets.

In my view you can get up and running with the iPad out of the box without reading anything as it is so intuitive, and, mine was 85% charged. I was concerned about the absence of Adobe Flash but already Apple has things going their way (towards HTML 5 rather than Flash) and lots of websites that didn't function properly before now work well. For example, the Audi website used to transfer you to its' mobile website on an iPad - this is no longer the case and you get full functionality - you can configure your new Audi R6 on your iPad! There is also a BBC iPlayer for iPad that's great as well as an ITV version. In summary, these are my thoughts;

Pros
- The design and construction are of a very high standard - the iPad is an iconic item.
- The operating system seems robust and offers a bit of an adventure if you're only weaned on Windows like me.
- Performance is fast and graphics are excellent - although I am not a hardened gamer, some of the driving games in particular, are highly responsive and have very lifelike high resolution graphics that seem to be rendered effortlessly by the iPad.
- The Retina Display is breathtaking and the rear camera is very good too - there is anti-shake and genuine low light capability but no flash.
- I love the way the (optional) cover switches the unit on and off - if you have an Apple cover from your iPad 2 that will definitely work with the new model.
- There are fewer limitations whilst browsing as a result of not running Adobe Flash than I thought.
- Battery life seems very good - circa 9 hours.
- I could see the iPad becoming the defacto standard in tablets - many vendors don't seem to do Android versions of magazines etc.
- Lots of accessories are available, and, unlike an Android tablet, there is no need for internet security products. It is worth noting many iPad 2 accessories do actually fit the new model.
- Wide range of apps available and more come out everyday, many of which are optiimised for the Retina Diaplay.

Cons

- Not too sure what you can do with MS Office documents on an iPad as yet.
- Some websites still depend on Adobe Flash although this is diminishing.
- No HDMI port or SD card slot - (the iPad is certainly not alone in this) - you can buy various adaptors to connect your memory card/camera/TV. Also, you can't browse pictures on an SD card, even with a card adaptor you have to actually load them onto the iPad or iCloud first.
- You need to learn the Apple OS if you're used to Windows but it's easy (at least the basics).
- If you buy the 4G version, in the UK, you only get 3G performance.
- Release 3 of the iPad is really "more of the same" - some tweaks but nothing conceptually radical.

I bought the WiFi only (32GB) version of the iPad and when on the move use my mobile phone as a hotspot - it works well. Finally, I have three other friends who have bought the new iPad and they are all delighted with theirs too. Yes, there may be the odd thing that irritates you, and, I know the iPad isn't without its critics, but, overall, I have to say it's a very, very well designed and executed consumer product and most people seem to love it! The iPad is undoubtedly a beautiful and iconic object of our times.

Recommended as a first time tablet purchase, or, if you need to replace your existing iPad. However, I'm a bit more reserved about an upgrade from Version 2 for the sake of it despite being a gadget fiend!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Apr 2012 02:28:35 BDT
Hi Paul,
I bought the iPad 2 after converting to Mac from Windows last year and it's the best decision I've made. If you think the iPad is good, wait till you try Apple's iMac computers.
I didn't get Microsoft Office on my iPad last year. Did yours come already installed? I think the idea is that you can write letters etc., and print them off using a wireless printer when one becomes available. Good review.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012 23:57:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Apr 2012 23:58:38 BDT
Paul Madge says:
Thanks for both your feedback and insight regarding MS Office which sadly was not installed on my iPad but I use it on my Windows PC. In the interim I have downloaded a recommended app for word processing on the iPad - iA Writer but I don't think it is compatible with Windows and MS Office. Printing from the iPad is my next frontier to cross! Your comments inspire me to buy a Mac as my main PC especially as we are keen photographers and our supposedly powerful Windows PC seems to struggle with heavyweight edits etc. Thanks again. Paul

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2012 01:43:51 BDT
A.Bell says:
That's great, Paul. Thanks for clearing up the Microsoft Word matter. I read it as though you had it installed on the iPad. My very first impression of an iMac was that it uniquely highlighted the fact that most Windows PC's are not fit for purpose and that I had endured their fallibility needlessly for 10 years. Apple's modern computers are so fast and are now Intel based which basically means there is far more compatibility with Windows-written CD-ROMS. Consequently, my old Windows discs I had data on, including photos, played like a dream on my iMac. There are powerful apps like iMovie and iPhoto that store, edit and refine videos and photographs. If you wanted something a little more for the professional, there is a plethora of software like Adobe Elements and Photoshop that you can install and use. There are so many other beneficial points I could mention which may not have a place here, but I if you're interested, I did review the Apple iMac here on Amazon in which I go into a little more detail. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well for the future and enjoy your new iPad. Kind regards, A.Bell

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2012 10:49:49 BDT
Paul Madge says:
Thanks - I will be looking at the Mac soon and will post an update to you. Best wishes Paul

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 01:20:36 BDT
bigflat says:
This exchange of comments is so kindly I feel guilty adding my crass thoughts but...

"most pcs are not fit for purpose"

. It's true but only because people have only spent a tiny amount of money on them. If you actually spend pound for pound the same on a pc you can get an ips 27 inch screen and more modern internal components, albeit in two separate but more flexible boxes.

E.g. I work in the Nhs. We need lots of computers. If we bought apple taxes would go up.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 09:41:38 BDT
Paul Madge says:
Thanks. Yes, I hadn't thought of the cost issue as much as I should have done. Many PCs cost less than half the price of a Mac I know although the PC I am referring to (which I don't make it clear) is quite well specified. It's an issue of comparing like for like. Thanks for keeping my feet on the ground!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 13:45:17 BDT
niknik says:
Hi guys I also have the iPad 3, or 'the new iPad', the ms office issue is easily solved by apples own 'iWork' apps, pages and numbers and keynote. They all can open ms office files so you can edit them but they do cost 6.99 each from the AppStore. They are very godd pass and seeing as you haven't found a good ms office alternative that can open ms files then I think you will seriously like this!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 13:52:25 BDT
niknik,

Thanks - I am so grateful for this tip - fantastic! Thanks again. Regards Paul

Posted on 9 Apr 2012 14:36:10 BDT
A.Bell says:
I just want to endorse what tniknik says. There is, quite rightly, Apple's alternative to MS Word. Haven't really seen the need to buy it for my iPad though, on which I've downloaded cheap notepad apps instead. But it does go to show the gap between laptops and tablets is getter narrower. I predict the next stages of development of the iPad will be the inclusion of high speed USB sockets. However, from all the information about the new iPad 3 I have gathered which is that it is essentially faster, clearer screen and updated camera, it doesn't draw me to rush out and buy it to replace my iPad 2. Maybe when 4G is rolled out and is standard in the UK, I may change my mind. Happy days.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2012 13:38:50 BDT
Paul Madge says:
Thanks. I agree entirely with your stance on the iPad3 - if I had already owned an iPad2, as I say in my review, I don't think I'd rush out and buy the new iPad either - in my recollection from borrowing one the iPad 2 screen was pretty good anyway! Regards Paul
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (280 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 198.00