1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera but severely let down by reliability, 4 Sep 2011
This review is from: Canon PowerShot D10 Digital Camera (12.1 MP, 3.0x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD (Electronics)
I agree with most of the other reviews. An excellent camera, but on 2 out of the 3 holidays I've used it for, the camera completely stopped working.

I've looked after the camera well, in accordance with the provided documentation for an underwater camera. If it weren't for the reliability factor, I would give it 5 stars, but because the reliability has rendered it utterly useless on parts of holidays that have been dedicated to the sole purpose of underwater photography (for example, the Red Sea, Hawaii, ...), although it may seem harsh, I'm giving it only one star. The excellent pictures it's capable of are useless if the camera cannot be relied upon to function correctly when needed. The contacts have been checked and cleaned, the seals have been checked to ensure that any parts they press on when closed are still working and have not broken (following some guidance I found on the Internet), and various other checks have been carried out.

The first time it stopped working was underwater, but no water seemed to have got in. The second time it stopped working, I'd been watching pictures on it in play mode the evening before, and in the morning I went to turn it on before leaving my hotel room and despite having 3 fully-charged batteries, it refused to turn on again, until a week later, with various interim attempts to get it to switch on.

So, in summary, a HUGE disappointment, even more so because I know what this camera is capable of if it weren't for the reliability factor.

Although the problem developed 4 months after purchase and was supposedly repaired then, the same fault has reoccurred and because it is now out of warranty, Canon won't repair it without a fee and Amazon have shed their responsibility. Not impressed. I think my next stop will be somewhere like John Lewis for reasons of ensuring a good warranty period and in the interests of finding a reliable retailer. Up until now, I'd thought Amazon were quite good, but this has been a huge let-down.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jan 2012 12:55:39 GMT
N Giauque says:
This is exactly what happened to us as well. The camera just stopped functioning. I am really sad that I missed some great pictures of my kids learning to wakeboard because the camera just decided to give up. I was thrilled with it up to that point and then nothing. None of the buttons except the playback button would work. It wasn't a battery issue either, just that it stopped functioning. It was working again the next day though so I don't know what to do with it now.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 00:41:23 BDT
S. Rose says:
Really sorry to hear it happened to you too. I've since bought a Pentax Optio WG-2, which goes to a slighter deeper depth than the Canon Powershot D10, and I've had no reliability issues with the Pentax. The American Amazon site seems to have better reviews of the Pentax than the UK site, for some reason! See http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-WG-2-Digital-Camera-Vermillion/dp/B0078KP13Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344641419&sr=8-3&keywords=Pentax+Optio+WG-2
After my disappointment with the Powershot D10, I was very pleased with the underwater Pentax as a replacement. I think if Amazon or Canon had been more helpful, I would have stuck solely with the Canon, but the fastest way to lose me as a customer is to both give me an unreliable product and then refuse to do anything about it. So it's bye bye Canon and hello Pentax :-) It was almost bye bye Amazon for a while too!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›