5.0 out of 5 stars What to make of all these conflicting reviews.., 2 Dec. 2011
This review is from: 50 Words for Snow (Audio CD)
If you've been reading the reviews of this album you'll notice quite a striking dichotomy. Most professional reviewers and many here at Amazon give it a full 5 stars, but then there are a significant number who actively dislike the album, handing out a 1 star accompanied by a slew of derisory comments.

What to make of it?

Well, if you're after pop songs and easily accessible melodies you may well be disappointed. Instead this record takes a more extended modern classical or jazz approach. It's subtle and it's a definite grower.

Personally after initially being a little nonplussed I really love it a lot now. Lyrically it's particularly strong and really creates an atmosphere of the season. Currently it's probably my favourite listen of 2011.

So, if you are open to a high quality subtle slow burner (and a great winter album for years to come), go ahead and buy (a quick listen/sample will not reveal its charms). If however you're after something more immediate maybe give this one a miss.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Dec 2011 11:16:27 GMT
I was going to write a review, but I think you've summed up my thoughts exactly!

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 11:21:02 GMT
Likewise, it's a fair and informative review of this rather enigmatic album. I found it hard going initially but in a way that's a pleasant change, it's quite a rarity nowadays. But as the BBC Review (also good) points out, rather more of Kate without 'guest appearances' would be welcome.

Posted on 18 Dec 2011 10:29:09 GMT
M. Jones says:
I love this review. Think it sums it up perfectly and, as a 1 star reviewer, makes me want to listen again. THANKYOU.

Posted on 20 Dec 2011 10:24:15 GMT
CWL says:
Spot on Andrew - with Christmas upon us this Album is the perfect listen on a snowy morning, "captures" Winter in a way few others have or could and your Review should be on the sleeve notes.

Posted on 26 Dec 2011 10:16:17 GMT
DJ Bez says:
Anyone giving a 5 star review to anything, ever, should seriously think about it before they do so.... Thats a 100% endorsement - not one tiny thing wrong - are 'you' sure thats really what you are meaning to imply?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2011 08:30:28 GMT
A 5 star review is not a 100% endorsement. It is to say you rate a piece of work on a par with other albums of notable quality. I think you ought to have a serious think yourself, about the actual nature of review scores. If you are implying 5 stars should never be given then you are missing the whole point of a review scoring system.

Posted on 31 Dec 2011 15:33:23 GMT
I agree, it's a grower. Steven fry on 50 words for snow is awsome. I didn't realise it was him untill after I had been totally mesmorised by the deep lucid tones. This is not an album for background music, it needs to have your full attention then it is akin to liquid chocolate. The more you consume the more you need.

Posted on 5 Jan 2012 00:43:27 GMT
R. Whitlock says:
The more I listen to this album the more I love it. It's tantalising and beautiful and also highly addictive, just like Snow.

Posted on 17 Feb 2012 18:44:11 GMT
I dismissed the album after listening twice at my local store. Maybe I will listen once more after reading your review....

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2012 11:15:12 GMT
Good for you M Jones. My own thoughts about the album are the same as the reviewer here - at first I wasn't sure, but after several listens (and I mean proper listening) it has really grown on me. In fact, during the recent snowy weather I found it perfect. M Jones - I hope you did listen again and I hope that it made a connection with you.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (393 customer reviews)

Reviewer