5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and well argued, 3 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Jilted Generation (Paperback)
Well written, informative, thought provoking and deeply depressing for anyone unlucky enough to be born too late. This book explains why we are where we are. Unlike many of the current offerings which jump on the band wagon of blaming the bankers, this thoughtful and well researched text holds back from the easy blame game and uses authoritative statistics to explain carefully the various difficulties Britain's young adults have been experiencing for the past few years. What many thought was just the result of reckless lending policies over the past decade, leading to overinflated house prices, a financial crash causing recession and unemployment, is shown to have its ultimate roots decades earlier. The realisation of which is that unless there is a paradigm shift in British politics then this will be a lost generation, paying for the short term decisions of our elders and denied many of their advantages.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Mar 2012 08:24:05 BDT
I. M. Hall says:
This is a book I feel I should buy, all the benefits I had such as a mortgage without an astronomic deposit, a final salary pension scheme and (if I had wanted) University Education with a grant not a loan. It is horrific that we have a generation growing up without some of these things.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2012 19:38:08 BDT
Mr Hall,

It should be fairly obvious why we have a generation growing up without "these things"...the current generation is not only far larger in population, but there are far larger state expenditures per capita. This country is run by people who seem to be pretty happy to pour taxes down the drain left, right and centre; whether it's the NHS, state education or the police.

Having studied at a semi-elitist institution (King's College) only a few years ago, I really don't know how things would have been for me had I not been to university like yourself. It's not that universities are doing the job that they're supposed to be (because they're not), but had I not been there, I may never have found out the ghastly truths about this godforsaken country. Now I feel not that I am educated, but enlightened about the right way to look at things. I have realised really how much there is wrong with the World today, and that Britain (contrary to what the British seem to think) is one of the worst places in it. And the trouble, although started by those who run it, runs as deep as the blood in the veins of Britons.

I am quite confident that this country will one day go the way of Greece. Like all once-great Empires, the British Empire had really started its rightful descent into Hell AFTER it's official breakup, and will continue to do so for another 50 or more years, until we are forced into a revolution like the French (which of course won't solve anything).

If you are bewildered by my comments (I would expect so), there are quite a few books which address the topics I have mentioned above, if you would be so interested as to read them. I have not read this particular one, but I assure you that it is hardly one of a kind, or anything new.

My very first recommendation would be: "Dumbing us Down", by John Taylor Gatto. Although written for Americans, this should be a fantastic primer for getting to grips with the big ideas.

Shushanto.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 07:30:20 BDT
I. M. Hall says:
Sorry I never went to university.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 10:06:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jul 2012 10:08:47 BDT
Ok...that really wasn't the subject of my message...did you happen to read the rest of it by any chance?

You do realise I wasn't accusing you of anything? Or insulting you because you hadn't been to university. I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

I thought perhaps the subject matter I wrote about would be something of interest to you, something you would like to comment on perhaps?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 10:23:45 BDT
I. M. Hall says:
I did read your review, I used to do financial counselling for my employer to many young people who had just left university-it was shocking how they would not enjoy many of the benefits that I did. I foresaw a future loaded with debt, little chance of owning their home and bugger all chance of a decent pension (Unless they joined the civil service).

I left skool with 4 o levels and found out that if you found the right job with study and application a university degree was a hinderance rather than an advantage. Too many young people aren't taught that flexibility and aptitude are good things to have and will count far more than results from a discredited educational system.

As for your comments that we are a country in decline, I would say that what applies to us applies to many other countries also, but having seen the slums of Mumbai and Cape Town the BRICS nations have a long way to go before they overtake us.

As for mis-management of the economy and taxes_ I am broadly in agreement-and it will get worse as we get fast tracked politicians such as Cameron, Clegg and Milliband who have little experience in the outside world.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 23:41:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jul 2012 23:53:39 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2013 15:43:38 BDT
Amazon should ban comments made by someone like Shushanto who has not read the book.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2013 23:23:19 BDT
Let me guess. Another Socialist?

Why should my comments be "banned"? If you don't like my comments, you can ignore them. My comment wasn't even a review of the book, it was a reply to Mr Hall's comment. You clicked on the comments section under A. Ellis's review. No-one forced you to do that. How does my comment harm YOU exactly?

In any case, it's up to Amazon. If they had wanted to censure comments, then they would have done so a long time ago. I'm sure they have someone looking at their own website from time to time. It's not as if my message contained obscenities. Your behaviour is typical of a Socialist. Ban, outlaw, condemn. That's the only way you know how to deal with things that oppose your point of view.

Reasoning with proponents of such outrageous suggestions as I have made would be ridiculous ("scoff"). The fact that you would think of "banning" a comment which isn't offensive or abusive to someone, shows what kind of person you are.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (33 customer reviews)

Reviewer