5.0 out of 5 stars So get a witch's shawl on, a broomstick you can crawl on; we're gonna pay a call on '100 Hits of Hallowe'en!', 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: 100 Hits - Halloween (Audio CD)
I bought this last year for, you'll never believe this, a Hallowe'en party I decided to throw. It was a bit impromptu, inspired very much at the last minute by the fact that I'd just found this collection in Asda and felt a sudden need to justify my immediate purchase of it. I don't think I even had time to find a costume. It was just this box-set, a big bag of pick 'n' mix and two dozen of the strangest people in my particular neck of the woods by some distance - and I include myself in that number as well, don't you worry.

So strange am I in fact, that I have managed to get quite a bit of pleasure from this product at other times during the past year, on days that are perhaps not quite so synonymous with darkness and nightmares. I even played a couple of discs on what would have been the anniversary of my wedding, although that is a day which is probably more associated with terror and fear in my own mind than Hallowe'en itself. One thing's for certain, I would rather spend the night asleep with Freddy Krueger than to have to suffer the horrors of my wedding night all over again.

This is a thoroughly entertaining and really impressive collection of songs. Since their only real link is their association with 'Hallowe'en, they combine to give a very eclectic mix of different musical genres. The first two discs contain perhaps the most memorable songs, my own personal favourite probably being 'Clap For The Wolfman'.

The third disc provides treasures galore in the form of some truly iconic horror theme tunes. They are not the original versions, but that takes nothing away from them in terms of quality. Trust me - once you've had a couple of Babychams you'll never be able to tell the difference. And I defy anyone to put Track 20 on ('Tales Of The Unexpected') and not instantly find themselves shimmying around their living room to that very sultry little move from the classic ITV title sequence. No? Oh well, that must just be me then.

CD4 gives a few older tunes the chance to shine although, in truth, if this box-set and I were ever alone together in a hot-air balloon that was rapidly losing height, this disc would have to be the first one over the side. And I can honestly say I would probably never even miss it.

The karaoke-style DVD is a really nice little bonus. The songs are all 'in the style of' and there are no video clips to look at while you're belting out the twenty songs. Irrespective of that though, they really do sound good. The on-screen words are very clear and, while I wouldn't like to admit here that I am often found at home during the daytime with the curtains closed, doing 'The Time Warp' in the company of this DVD... I also can't exactly deny it either.

It was nice of them to include 'People Are Strange' on this DVD just for me, wasn't it?

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]