1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed by Amazon and the Kindle...updated!, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th) (Electronics)
Firstly let me be very clear - I have loved my Kindle - used it nearly every day to and from work, I don't think I have ever read so much, so fast! I am very careful with my technology (I think I annoy my wife with how careful I am about it!) I always kept my device in a case, in my bag and never sat on it, dropped it, threw it (as I have heard others rightly castigated for). Suddenly, after exactly 13 months and 10 days the famed lines appeared on the screen....resetting etc made no difference.

Speaking to the very friendly Amazon staff confirmed my worst fears - that the device was out of warranty by a month and 10 days and that, to quote "this is very common - often when our customers have been using their devices regularly or when travelling with them." I asked if they could help at all and they told me "There is nothing else you can do and as it is out of warranty nothing we can do apart from possibly discount a new device" - Ok I said, as I am loath to be without my beloved Kindle......and this is where I am particularly annoyed, they offered me a new Kindle wi-fi for the heavily discounted price of......£67.99

Things go wrong, devoices break, warranties can only last so long - I do get this but 13 months for a device that has been loved and cared for? Customer service that amounts to offering me nothing? This is not simply about what I am due (Legally I appreciate this is nothing) it is about taking care of loyal customers and recognising that a premium device should last longer than 13 months. I am not a unique case, I am one of very very many. Just look......

UPDATE

After a prolonged back and forth with customer services (always very polite and helpful) my case was referred to a decision making team who have now dispatched me a replacement unit - I am yet to receive it but thought it was nevertheless important to point out that with some discussion Amazon has responded to my issues and for this I thank them. I look forward to this resolving the issues. My advice to those in a similar situation is to persist and request escalation politely - Amazon have shown themselves to being up to some reasonable decision making - well done and thank you!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 70 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Dec 2012 23:21:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Dec 2012 23:22:40 GMT
There is a little known EU directive for consumer goods protection which may help?

The EU directive in question is 1999/44/EC.

... importantantly, the salient part is as follows;

'A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period.'

This may or may not help - UK consumer protection and EU rules can clash and create friction - but it's worthwhile investigating and approaching amazon with this information.

In my opinion electronic hardware should last for a good 2-3 years of use, to be 'fit for purpose' - beyond that point, (As a consumer) - I'm not too bothered if things start to go wonky so long as I've got fair use out of said item.

A 1 year warranty is pathetic - and if there's a known (common) fault with the hardware then chances are the manufacturer should repair/replace the item as it's knowingly marketing a product that's not fit for purpose - basic statutory rights.

A kindle is designed to travel. There's no argument that because you've used yours for the purpose it's designed for nullifies it's warranty.

Push back SJR.

Posted on 28 Dec 2012 23:25:12 GMT
Lora says:
Kindle Touch RRP is actually £109, so you had a bargain there!

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 14:48:48 GMT
S Edmondson says:
I'm not sure how it is a bargain to be offered a replacement that you had to pay for, if it hadn't broken it would have cost you nowt!

Many Kindle fans dismiss the idea, but so many seem to pack up just out of warranty it makes me wonder if something isn't built into them!

Anyway I personally would get back to Customer Services and state firmly but politely that having looked after the Kindle and it breaking for no reason after just 13 months means that it is not 'fit for purpose' as described in the Sale of Goods Act. Suggest taking the matter further if necessary.

My guess is that Customer Service are instructed to try and avoid free replacements unless pushed. Ok, it is out of warranty, but that is no excuse for shoddy goods! If you bought a £900 television and it broke after 13 months how would you feel?

People say 'well you had your Kindle for 13 months so it really only cost 18 pence per day so it was good value' as if that makes a difference. It doesn't.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2013 11:36:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2013 11:37:36 GMT
W. Major says:
Good points. I too have bought three Kindles, as presents. The first froze and was replaced promptly and is still going for my wife after nearly two years [so i guess there will be no chance of a replacement should it die]. One I bought for myself and it froze after 13 months [13 seems to be the unlucky number].I have a lot of costly books on it, text books and unread fiction.I also have weekly journals and newspaper downloaded on to it -so on top of the cost of the Kindle which they will not replace [offering me a £69.00 touch kindle as a "special offer"]. The journals are still downloading at present onto a dead Kindle.Two internet "chats" with Amazon result in no joy. I feel that they are breaching EU rules and as Mr Ranson says, an electronic item like this should not crash so quickly and so irreperably. Buyers should beware - downloading costly novels or text books means risking losing them into a limbo if your Kindle goes wrong - If I am forced to buy another I will never buy another E-book from Amazon. I am taking advice and will consider the small claims court if nothing else. Buyers beware. I must add that I was considering buying a top of the Kindle range "Fire" this year -but will not now.

Posted on 21 Feb 2013 11:45:10 GMT
W. Major says:
I too have a dead 13 month old Kindle. Out side of their waranty, though I believe that EU rules make this an illegal contract. Two years at least I think? I have bought three Kindles, one died after 6 months and was promptly replaced, one I bought recently for a friend and is going strong[hopefully],my own is 13 months old and now useless, with many £s worth of books and text books, plus weekly journals and newspapers still downloading weekly and daily -all inaccessible to me. I will keep on at them and consider small claims court too if all else fails,when I will go for the cost of the inaccessible books too.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2013 13:53:22 GMT
jsygurl says:
You can download a Kindle reader on your computer and read your journals on there I think.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2013 11:09:10 BDT
Not very convenient if the user reads while travelling on public transport or at the beach.

Posted on 16 May 2013 09:06:09 BDT
My boyfriend had the same issues with his Kindle screen freezing just out of the warranty. He contacted Amazon, got told it was just outside the warranty period, and offered a discounted price Kindle which he decided to accept. What I find disgusting however, was that it wasn't until he got the dispatch notice for his replacement, that there was any mention of this being a refurbished device and not brand new. There had also been no mention of the fact that he'd have to return his old one. He saved the live chat conversation he'd had so we have double checked but there was definitely no mention of all of this. I do think it's sneaky of them to do this just for extra sales and I am very disappointed in Amazon for the first time ever about this.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2013 07:12:43 BDT
W. Major says:
I persisted and a replacement was sent. The replacement did not work(it switched on ok but could not connect to my archive. After a lengthy and very helpful internet advice session they sent me another which works perfectly. I have downloaded my kindle archive of books onto my employer's provided tablet and can if pushed read it on there. Maybe the kindle itself should be very cheap and the deal being that you buy x number of books, journals per month to give Amazon profit. Not that Amazon make any profit do they?

Posted on 17 May 2013 10:51:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 May 2013 10:57:08 BDT
Lce says:
My Kindle has just died after two years. The screen went white. Amazon tell me it can't be repaired and offered a replacement (WiFi only, mine was GPS) for £45. Might seem like a bargain, but they offered a REFURBISHED one, so not new and one that had already had a fault. Two friends who bought Kindles at the same time have also lost theirs. Amazon MUST know about this, but I was informed, when I declined to throw good money after bad, that this problem was rare. I understand perfectly how SJR feels. You look after a device and it just dies on you. To me that is clear evidence of a design fault. I am extremely disappointed with Amazon over this. All my books, which are many, are now downloaded onto my iPad.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (10,169 customer reviews)
 (7,373)