4.0 out of 5 stars WORDPRESS TO GO, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: WordPress To Go: How To Build A WordPress Website On Your Own Domain, From Scratch, Even If You Are A Complete Beginner (Paperback)
I got introduced to wordpress by an adventure when I was looking into ways of building my own website without using a web designer. I started to build the site, but it was looking like that of an amateur, as I could not use/edit most of the dashboard functions. This then made me to look for a wordpress book on Amazon. I bought the first book "24-hour Wordpress Trainer" but this book did not really helped me with the way I would have wanted my site to look. I then went back to Amazon to look for other wordpress books, and them came across "Wordpress To Go" by Sarah McHarry. I decided to give the book a go, based on the reviews of people who have bought this book. As soon as I opened the book, I knew outright that this book will help me a great deal in achieving my dream of building at least a good wordpress site. I was not disappointed since Sarah began with how to buy a domain name and hosting of your site.
This book gave lessons on how to install wordpress, log in and out of wordpress which also include how to customise your wordpress site. I'm already used to all these and simply opened to the more needed area like "steps to a perfect website", "all about widgets", etc. Of most interest and importance to me are:
• How to install wordpress themes and customise it with regards to background, image, colour scheme, site title, header image and installation of useful plugins.
• Adding of images to wordpress site which she explained on how to do this from the "media library" and how you can upload images for future use in the media library. I have no idea on how to use this before until I read this wordpress to go by Sarah. Sarah also gave her opinion about adding images/photos to your pages/post as it literally makes your webpage look attractive and relevant.
• This book thought me how to add a video to my site, I did not even know that it was so simple and easy to install a video that you recorded by yourself or someone else until I read this wordpress book.
Other interesting things that I learnt in this book which though is for a beginner in wordpress and not for the advanced students include:
• How to add an image using a text widget.
• How to use a text widget to display a banner Ad.
• Sarah's opinion about custom menu and why it is good to use them. According to the author, custom menus are a relatively new feature of wordpress but it add a lot of flexibility and power to the design of a wordpress site.
• The author also shows how to create a primary, secondary menu and setting the home page of your wordpress site.
This book is really good for a beginner in wordpress and is fully loaded with so many examples and instructions on how to get started, be up and running within few hours of dedication and hardwork.

Esther
(www.tld-reviews.com)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]