Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. Good quality, easy to assemble, fast delivery, kid loves it, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Homcom Portable Basketball Stand Backboard Hoop Net Set Adult Senior Hoopman Hoopster (Height: 2m~3.05m adjustable) NEW (Misc.)
The quality is really good and it looks good. Received within 2 days of ordering and it was well packed. The supporting pole is a nice shiny black of good quality as is the rim. The backboard is a decent size. It shakes a little if you use the backboard or shoot a brick but nothing that would really make a difference. I grew up playing basketball and it does the job just fine.

I currently have it set at the minimum height so that my 6 year-old can play. He really likes it although he needs to shoot underhand and he has to be near the basket. He has been playing with a normal sized basketball and it would be easier with a smaller and lighter ball. I would expect an 8 year-old to be able to shoot normally at the 2 metre height (lowest height) basket. I preferred to get something that my son might find a little tall in the beginning but could grow into than buying the lower baskets that I would have to replace in a year or two. However, one must consider the strength of the child and the age.

The backboard color is a mixture of black and white as per the photo. I found it strange when looking at the photo but now that I have it, it is fine. Probably better than white since it does not reflect the light. It looks really nice with the red, white and blue net.

It has wheels to move it. However, I question whether one can move it with the wheels once it is full of water. I actually move it off my drive. I have filled the base about half full with water and to move it, I use a basic 2 wheel trolley that I bought at B&Q for about £12. With the trolley, it is really easy to move. You just slide it under the base (the end with the pole) and pull the pole towards you as you dip the trolley back. Real easy. However, when putting it away for the night, I do tie it up (i.e. tie a rope around it and connect it to something solid) so that I do not have the risk of the wind knocking it down. Naturally, if you do not plan to move it then fill it fully with water or you might find that you can move it completely full with water.

The instructions were OK. Assembling (comes with Allen key and wrench) it was not difficult and the only part that requires 2 people in my view is the last part when you connect the pole with the backboard to the main pole. I did not assemble it all at once so difficult to say how long it would take. I would say between 30 - 45 minutes.

Some tips to put together:
1) The wheels snap into place so just push down until you hear them snap into place.
2) The instructions refer to 3 poles by size (i.e. length) but the real difference is diameter. The bottom pole has the largest diameter. In order for the pole to fit in the base, you need to twist it. This will get it down to the point at which you can slide the metal bar that keeps it in place. You will need the pole to be slightly higher to get the bar into the first hole of the pole. You then twist the pole back and forth to get it to go lower until you can get the bar out the other hole.
3) Make sure the security warning tab is facing the side people are going to shoot from (i.e. the short end of the base). The hole for height adjustment needs to face the base.
4) When screwing the Y bar into the back of the backboard, the screws will not go in completely with your fingers alone. However, once you use the Allen key, they will go in like they are supposed to.

One last thing, for any father that is thinking to relive their youth or wants to copy the NBA players, I would advise against dunking and hanging on the rim. It is sturdy but that would be pushing it...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 May 2013 17:51:20 BDT
You have obviously put some work into this review and for that I am grateful. I have been looking for a decent and affordable set for some time now and when money comes my way I will be confident in buying this item thanks to your very detailed review, so thank you for the time you've put in and I can assure you I found it very useful!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 16:08:53 BDT
Yes I agree, thank you so much for your review. I brought this recently and used your review to help me and my boys to assemble it, I am now considering going to B&Q to get a trolley as we can move it but its very tough and difficult on your own, we also have to move it up and down a hill. Thank you, kind regards, Mrs Bird

Posted on 12 Sep 2015 16:27:02 BDT
Wow, fantastic review and this has given me the confidence to buy this item. The most useful part or your review for me was the tips on putting it together - this is where I so often struggle! Thanks very much :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›