5.0 out of 5 stars This made me appreciate indie, 16 April 2010
This review is from: Meat Is Murder (Audio CD)
I heard this five or six years ago when I was in college and I was very much under the impression that Indie music was all just "Yea yea yea I love you, aww mate I'm glad you let me feel your t*ts coz I bort you some chips and thaaaat" nonsense, like the Kooks and their ilk. I had heard SOME Smiths stuff and some other good indie bands too, but nothing ever peaked my interest enough. Then my mate sat me down one night when we'd just got back from the pub and we listened to this all the way through. Well, that was me sold from then on that indie really can be amazing.

My usual format of reviews there days is to describe the sound of each intrument, the vocals and the lyrical style... I wonder if that's really necessary with the Smiths because I feel most people probably know what they're all about, but, for the sake of keeping a pattern to my reviews (and in case any poor soul hasn't heard the Smiths) I will stick with that formula.

So, music? Johnny Marr is something of a guitar legend... not because he'll melt your face like Eddie Van Halen or punch a hole in your chest like Dimebag but because he writes amazingly delicate but catchy riffs. The guitar is a very gentle sound; clean and easy to listen to (yet deceptively intricate at times). The drums and the bass aren't anything to write home about and for the most part just keep the rhythm of the song (well, that's what they're meant to do) but that's no slurr against the respective players, they are infinitely competant it's just that the music doesn't demand complex experimental arrangements for those instruments.

Every song here demands your attention so I won't go into detail about any of them. You have likely heard a few Smiths songs so you'll know what you're in for. That's not to say sort of "heard one, heard em all" gosh no, they are a very varied band... but there have a distinct sound which is prevalent in more or less everything they have done.

Vocals? You probably know Morrissey, but if you don't; his vocals are very distinctive, he has quite a range from deep barritone to high falsetto, but he seems most happy at a mid-range sort of funny yodel (It sounds alot better when you hear it then when describe it). That's the best I can do to describe it really, other than to say that he is a very good singer and certainly worth hearing.

Lyrics? Mozzer's got ya covered. All of the lyrics here (save for the title track which is a pro-veggie guilt trip, but still good and I'm not even a veggie) are about modern living, feelings of alienation, lonliness, broken-heartedness and all that sort of thing. But it's really not as miserable as it sounds; the nice juanty music keeps you happy and even the most miserable lyrics are written with a sort of tongue-in-cheek dark humour that makes them much more palletable.

Overall; I recommend this to ANYONE, even if you hate indie as I so used to, this may change your mind. It's worth a shot isn't it? I believe if you look for my "best of indie" list on listmania you'll find this still holding the #1 spot... that should tell you everything you need to know.

Dom x

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]