1.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by it's title!, 10 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Science of Parenting: Practical Guidance on Sleep, Crying, Play and Building Emotional Wellbeing for Life (Hardcover)
I bought this book hoping to read some research about parenting (e.g. is it proven that controlled-crying versus attachment nighttime parenting has emotional consequences) but all it is is an attachment parenting book, with occasional footnotes, backing up these perspectives only. It does not, as it claims in the title and introduction, present the science to you and let you make up your own mind. These's plenty of made-up little stories (like naughty mommy who read a magazine at the beach versus good mommy who engaged their children at the beach) and I found the whole thing very patronising. Also, referring to children's bad behaviour as 'horrid' is, shall we say, hardly a recognised 'scientific' term. Brutal book. For parenting advice there is only one truely amazing book 'How To Talk So That Kids Will Listen'.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Nov 2010 14:23:20 GMT
Sarah says:
Thank you - I was thinking about buying this book as I was after the science. If it is unbalanced there is little scientific in its presentation at all.

Posted on 1 Nov 2010 14:23:28 GMT

Posted on 22 May 2013 18:20:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2013 18:20:45 BDT
Missewla says:
This book IS science based, and it makes perfect sense, but its put nice and simply so most parents aren't bamboozled with words they don't understand. I don't find your review at all helpful because every parent should want to know what makes their little ones tick and how their brains develop. Knowing this, they shouldn't need to search for parenting advice, just do what feels right for your child.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2013 00:07:10 BDT
Sarah says:
Science requires a critical evaluation. If it is unbalanced as suggested by the above reviewer, it is not scientific. It might reference a few scientific manuscripts but this does not make it science.

Your comment indicates one must read this book to understand what's happening to your child. And any good parent must know this (biased?) information. My daughter is 3 and we so far have I think a good relationship. I haven't read a single book on Parenting in the end - I tried a couple but I have always found them patronising, biased, and judging those that don't (or can't) subscribe to the same beliefs. I don't think this means I haven't the desire to understand what's going on wIth my child. It means I have enough conviction that I am doing as well as I can by her, and if I have concerns I can read the science and make a judgement myself.

Disclaimer: I am a peer-reviewed published scientist / academic. this might put me in a better position to go to original research and assess quality then the intended target audience. (It also means I understand critical scientific evaluation and presentation.)

Posted on 24 Oct 2013 22:07:26 BDT
M. Spencer says:
Well it is based on science in so far as it is using the very latest evidence about how babies develop an emotional brain and emotional regulation in the first 2 years of life. However if you are looking for study about effects on the brain of leaving to cry versus responding to cries then you ain't going to get it because it would be a rndomised control trial that needed ethical approval _ what would you do - ask 500 mums to never respond to their childs cries and then another 500 who did? the science is not RCTs - altho there are longitudinal studoes about various things eg Jay belsky's work which is refenced. The science is looking at the research on early brain development from the last 15-20 years and extrapolating from that what would constitue optimal parenting. For a non neuroscientist Margot is as well informed in this area as anyone could possibly be.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2014 02:15:44 BDT
Lia says:
So as a peer reviewer you must understand that research that has been peer reviewed ( hopefully by people that do it for the right reasons and not for their professional obligation) can be used to produce advice. Your doctor doesn't critically evaluate any piece of advice that they give to you. This is a book for parents, not a meta analysis or a scientific paper.

As for the unbalanced.. Have you found any opposing research with better peer reviews? Because as mathematician and a student of psychology with a huge interest in research I have not found any. So to reference my philosophical studies as well, just because it does not present the opposing views, it does not make it unbalanced. It would be unbalanced if it presented both arguments when their balance is 90-10.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›