2.0 out of 5 stars It works, but it needs _very_ careful set-up in my experience. Failed after 2yrs., 13 April 2011
This review is from: Linksys Maximum Performance Dual-Band N Router (Accessory)
Given the generous amount of antennae within the e4200, I bought this expecting a significant improvement in 5.0GHz network coverage around my home and in my garden, compared to my Apple Airport Extreme (also a simultaneous dual-band router).

After experimenting a lot with physical location, orientation, network settings and so on, it seems to offer no/little improvement (have checked this with three different computers in several different locations). Its settings are more flexible than the Airport Extreme, which is nice, but in the real world this does not offer much (if anything).

Also, to confirm what one review (elsewhere) has said (but which others have stated incorrectly), it is not readily wall-mountable, though with a spot of velcro I have managed this. Yes, the e4200 is actually light enough to stay up and in position with velcro on the ceiling! Not what Linksys intended, I am sure, but is nonetheless an advantage over the heavier Apple Airport Extreme.

Therefore, my conclusion is that this is a perfectly good simultaneous dual-band router for someone looking for their first such device, though there are cheaper models in the Linksys range that accomplish the same thing.
For those already using a simultaneous dual-band router, it offers no/little noticeable improvement....not to me, anyway. My advice: save your money.

** UPDATE on APRIL 16th 2011 ** After a considerable amount of further experimentation with orientation, location and height above the ground (more than is sensible or practical for most people), I am now achieving what could be termed 'maximum performance'. My connection is about 30% faster than the Airport Extreme allowed. Have increased my rating by a star. My advice now: yes it is a very fast router but I suspect that most people will not see the benefit from it. It does reward the user with state-of-the-art performance if they're prepared to put a lot of time into experimenting with physical set-up.

** UPDATE on July 25th 2013 ** After getting intermittent hangs and freezes, the unit has completely died. Tried resetting it and reloading my settings. Worked once but even resetting now makes no difference. Not good enough. Back to Apple Airport Extreme for me. Am fed up of failing routers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jul 2011 17:14:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jul 2011 17:15:40 BDT
Waz H says:
Your feedback is greatly appreciated, Ive been considering the RV220W for a while now as im looking looking for a 'Quality' Wireless router, and although the wireless component is mainly used for simple web browsing and email recovery on a couple of laptops, the main reason this router stands out for me other than the brand and pedigree, is the 686.8MB Lan/Wan throughput rate, which is an essential element for me as i do a lot of online gaming via my XBOX 360 which is hard wired.

Thanks for your feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2011 17:53:01 BDT
keribillen says:
Hi, I would think that the e4200 is more than ample (probably overkill) for a hard-wired XBox 360. For online gaming via such a set-up, your broadband connection is more-than-likely to be the bottleneck.

Best regards,
Keri

Posted on 18 Jul 2011 11:08:56 BDT
me again says:
Can you expand on what you did to achieve the update comments April 16th please,thinking of purchasing this so any more info would be benificial. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2011 13:07:28 BDT
keribillen says:
Hi,
I did two things:
1) Elevated the router as high as I could.
2) Put it onto a shelf that I could vary the angle of. I found in my set-up that having it facing downwards (so not horizontal) about 40 degrees speeded up the connection.

So, you could try doing the same but I suspect that the positioning that works for me will not be the best for you, because the performance will depend somewhat on the positioning and orientation of your computer.

Good luck!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (71 customer reviews)

Out of stock