5.0 out of 5 stars Truly, An Awesome Achievement, or TAAA for short, 12 Feb. 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 (Video Game)
I have been reading through many of the reviews submitted over the last few days and I feel that all those people who gave this game a 5 start rating have truly hit the nail on its perfectly formed head. Assassins Creed II is a sublime piece of modern gaming which I found hard to stop playing. However I did have my reservations about this second outing after playing the first instalment.

Now don't get me wrong! Assassins Creed was amazing, the story was wonderful and full of twists and turns and the game play was truly visionary, but the novelty did start to wane a few hours in as many others before me have mentioned, it did become tedious doing similar missions. It lacked a certain something.

Having played AC2 (and not just a demo) it took my reservations and gave them an al mighty kick out the window. I have not been so engrossed in a game since Fallout 3. It's a pleasure to find such depth and clarity, that shows those of us playing it that this was looked after during production and carefully crafted to give the player a fantastic experience and wanting more. So where to start?

Firstly, a grumble. Not about the game but rather about the reviews 1 stars. We are all entitled to an opinion and we do not all have the same tastes. This game does not deserve 1 star, by a mile. What I feel was required was time and patience, to see what an awesome experience this is. Then draw your conclusions to produce a fair and honest review. Placing a single star on something to cause minor anger amongst honest reviewers is not acceptable.

AC2 blends perfectly with the events of the first game. The story of the Templar's is still as strong as ever, with many a twist and turn thrown in for good measure. I particularly enjoyed how many of the characters stories and mission would lead to a much bigger and more complex outing for Ezio. This could easily be made into a film, that's how highly I regard the script and we all know, it would be an amazing film to watch. (Then again video games to movies is shaky ground)

Graphically... it's ridiculous. It is mouth-watering. Rich colour, smooth texture, fluid motion of Ezio and the people in the town. The free running parts are where the most fun is to be had and a marked improvement over AC1. I did at times find I would jump to a ledge I was not aiming for or I could not climb and would get stuck. Frustrating you might say in games but it never dented my enjoyment, it just spurred me on to get to the top of the building or jump across the Canals of Venice.

There is certainly more do to in AC2 with the introduction of money. There are a variety of ways to collect and many ways to spend it. Be it from tinting your clothes another colour or purchasing art to hang on walls. It's alot of fun.

In the 21st Century. Video Games have the production costs of most major Hollywood blockbusters, and can even outperform them at the box office. Having a good musical score can highlight the edge of failure or success. Get it wrong, and it doesn't matter how amazing it looks, the atmosphere is dead. Get it right, you get something that makes you feel personally connected. AC2 won an award for its soundtrack. Beating CODMW2. It was a smart choice.

Why 4 stars for fun then? Well originally I was going to do 5, but that was far to eager as I was still playing the game in Florence and had yet to visit the other cities. I chose 4 stars for a few minor reasons. I did feel that monotony did creep in when looking for treasure and codex pages, especially in Venice, which is HUGE! and some mission are very similar. I was a little cheesed of when there was no achievement for collecting so many treasure chest though or upgrading to your full potential as Ezio.

Not to end on a negative...So I won't! AC2 is by far one of the greatest games of the last 10 years. It ranks in the Pantheon of The Superb, alongside Zelda - Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye, Bioshock and dare I say Toejam and Earl. Own this game, There is plenty of replay value with hunting the treasure, the extra events and the DLC. Part 1 of the DLC you can fly Leonardo's flying machine for fun! What's not to enjoy? Part 2 I believe might allow you to enter the sector on the other side of Florence. Let's hope, pray that Ubisoft make AC3 the ultimate adventure. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is due out very soon so look forward to more flying jumps, escapes and incredible attack moves.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]