25 of 25 people found the following review helpful
Great player for the money,
This review is from: Samsung YP-K3 - 4GB MP3 Player - With Photoviewer (Electronics)I purchased this in February out of curiosity after several years of loyal iPod purchases. Overall, I'd say this is the only real competitor to the Nano in style terms. It's slightly thinner than the Nano, although also wider and taller. The touch sensitive controls (which are reminiscent of my old 3G ipod/the LG Chocolate) and the OLED screen give it a unique look.
Pros: - Great sound quality. Fully customisable EQ available via firmware update from Samsung is far superior to the ipod's distortion prone presets.
- FM radio built in
- Stylish interface, with lots of animation etc. Especially like the "Graphic EQ" effect while songs are playing
- Songs transferred using drag-and-drop in Windows Explorer
- Good battery life for something so sleek. The OLED screen seems to save lots of power
Cons: - Not Mac compatible unless you apply a firmware update which messes up browsing by artist, album etc
- No ability to make playlists on the go as far as I know
- Fairly scratch-prone (although not as fragile feeling as the iPod)
- No video playback (can't see why why you'd want to watch videos on a device this size anyway)
- Some may find the touch controls fiddly
For Windows users this is a great purchase. Players from Creative and Sandisk probably have more functionality but for simple music playback I reckon only this matches the style/simplicity of the ipod. I recommend matching it with a pair of Sennheiser CX300 earbuds for best sound quality