5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing new adventure for the Doctor and his new friend, 21 May 2009
This review is from: Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead, 2009 Easter Special [DVD] (DVD)
I approached this 'special' episode with trepidation because I hadn't been too keen on the last one, and felt that the sense of character continuity and chemistry the Doctor had built up in the last full series of Doctor Who had been lost. However the bond between the Doctor and his one-off companion Lady Christina (played so saucily by Michelle Ryan) is very swiftly established and keeps going throughout the story.

The story rattles along at a fair pace, the Doctor making us laugh while staying serious, and entertaining us throughout. The plot is clearly a rip-off of an old James Stewart film, Flight Of The Phoenix, and principal writer Russell T. Davies admitted this, however at least it was a good idea he copied, and the story fits the new, slightly lonely Doctor well. Tennant's portrayal is up to his usual standards, and there is a small ensemble of supporting actors to move the drama a long.

The alien races encountered here are not very original (insect-people and flying manta rays), as is often the case they are just adapted from animals we already know (like so many in the last four years). However this doesn't detract from the drama of the story; the bad aliens are very well-realised by computer graphic effects and the sheer speed at which they move makes them frightening. The good aliens are also brought to screen believably, and made me feel like we were dealing with real alien people, rather than just a 'monster'.

Supporting all this back on earth are UNIT, a reassuring presence in the form of Captain Magambo, and her dead-pan practical nature are a welcome foik for Lee Evans's manic scientist Malcolm.

Framing all of this is the brilliant cinematography. The sight of the Doctor and Christina strolling out on miles and miles of untrodden sand will long live in my memory, as much as the images of the London bus stranded in the desert.

I recommend this to anyone who enjoys Doctor Who, it's a good one!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Nov 2009 09:37:38 GMT
I completely disagree to many views of this Dr Who. I thought it was AWFUL! Michelle Ryan trying to pull of that accent made me cringe every time! I'm a massive fan of Dr Who, Its one of those things I can watch with my kids and other half and we're usually transfixed, however this one we were all so BORED! Even the Wonderful Lee Evans couldn't save this one. I have bought every episode of Dr Who however we shall be giving this one a wide berth! :-(
‹ Previous 1 Next ›