3.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray Audio Review, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Imagine (Blu-ray Audio)
This Blu Ray audio edition of Imagine contains high resolution versions of the 2010 remaster.

However, I found this disc sounds little better than the 2010 CD so if you own that disc, you may find the Blu Ray offers little improvement.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Mar 2014 16:08:37 GMT
its just another way to get more money from the public...cd was the best quality the dvd was the best and now blu-ray...when will it all end?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2014 16:36:31 BDT
Normal DVDs (DVD-Video) are about the same as CDs in sound quality, but SACD, DVD-Audio (which you won't get the best out of with a normal DVD-Video player you need a specialised one to decode the better resolutions on the disk) and BluRay offer a substantial increase in quality with the right kit.

What kit are you playing it on? If you are playing it through a TV or even a low end stereo system you aren't going to see the benefits.

What age are you? The older you get the less of the higher frequencies (which benefit the most from the higher resolution formats) you will hear. If you are over 40 don't even bother trying to hear the difference...

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2014 18:50:50 BDT
I'm 33; and have a Cambridge Audio 751 BD player with Mordant Short Avant 906i speakers, so not low end.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2014 21:42:46 BDT
Not exactly high end either...

Perhaps putting an amp between the speakers and the BluRay player would help.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2014 16:07:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2014 16:24:20 BDT
I wouldn't call an 800 Blu Ray player low end....

Imagine was never a sonic masterpiece to begin with; with a muddy sound.

DVD Video is actually better than CD quality, as DVDs can store more data; and DVD Audio and Blu Ray are a further improvement.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2014 00:59:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Apr 2014 01:02:21 BDT
I didn't call it low end, I said it wasn't exactly high end either, which is not the same thing.
At least try to keep up with what I'm saying.
My older player which I've not long replaced was worth nearly twice that.
And that wasn't high end.

Yes DVD Video is potentially better than CD.
But just because it can store higher res audio and store more data doesn't mean it will.

When they first started using DVD Video for music releases they didn't exactly make much effort on the sound.
It was mainly live performances and music videos back then and in my opinion they just slapped it on.
Even where the higher bit rate and depth available on DVD was used it wasn't used effectively IMHO.
I think they thought people were only after the video to go with the music and weren't bothered about quality.

That's why I said "Normal DVDs (DVD-Video) are *about* the same as CDs in sound quality".
In my experience there's not a substantial improvement at least in practice.

Then they brought out DVD Audio (and SACD) to cater for people that might be bothered.
It was only then they seemed to make an effort and put genuine high res material on the disks.
Because they knew the people buying these would have to buy a dedicated player.
People more serious about getting hold of high res music, not the casual listener picking up music vids.

Incidentally some of the best DVD Video content has been on DVD Audio IMHO.
When I started buying DVD Audios I only had a DVD Video player but picked the disks up for a future player.
I could access the DVD Video compatible material, which was invariably better than the usual DVD Video SQ.
It seems the studios were genuinely going to the trouble of using the original masters for the high res DVD Audio.
Like I said, these were for more serious music fans so just slapping something on wouldn't do.
Then they were down sampling this for the DVD Video layer rather than just shoving shoddy transfers on there...

Personally I find in the general case, DVD Video in the real world, sadly, is about the same as CDs for music.
The other formats (SACD/DVD-Audio/BluRay) sound, to me, significantly better.
Though I've never been totally convinced that is from the high resolution or the care of the mastering/transfer/etc.

I am still surprised that this (Imagine) doesn't sound significantly better seeing as it's a flagship batch of releases.
Plus the other reviews are positive (ignoring the donkey who assumed it would be surround).
I guess I might have to buy it myself and give Yoko some more of my money...

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2014 09:05:57 BDT
I'm keeping up perfectly with what you are saying, thanks very much. Patronise much? IMHO an 800 player is high end; considering you can pick them up in a supermarket for 30; and if your previous player was worth twice that I consider that high end too.

An 800 player should be more than enough to be able to hear an improvement compared to the CD, but I personally didn't find that to be the case with this title. I own 10 of these pure audio Blu Ray titles now, and they vary wildly in quality. I'm surprised that you are commenting on a product you haven't listened to.

Most DVD Audio titles contained no video content and, therefore, the music could be presented uncompressed; whereas this is not the case with DVD Video titles. Still, in my experience music on DVD Videos is often richer compared to the CD versions, though not in all cases. It depends on the masters and the mastering used. SACD; DVD Audio and Blu Ray should sound better again, due to the capacity of the discs being able to store high res music, but in my experience - particularly with these Blu Ray Audio titles - the mastering lets them down.

For this particular title, the 2010 remaster is very good. However, owning the CD, I just don't feel the Blu Ray presents a significant upgrade.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2014 13:35:00 BDT
And I'd call all of our players middle end :-)
Either way you still haven't answered my comment from earlier:
"Perhaps putting an amp between the speakers and the BluRay player would help."
Would be interesting (genuinely now, not sarcastic) to know what amp you are using.
And whether your amp or player is doing the decoding, etc.

Agree about the masters and mastering.
But personally, like I said, I've found audio DVD Videos to be a bit lacklustre.

It's irrelevant that I don't own the item being reviewed.
I've only made generalisations here and never claimed otherwise.
I'm just surprised that you find the quality so unsatisfactory.
I've got a huge backlog of things to listen to (or watch) at the moment.
So have banned myself from buying anything else not already preordered :-)

I might still buy this as I still haven't bought the 2010 remasters.
But I'll probably scoop up the 2010 CDs anyway so don't know who I'm kidding...

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2014 10:52:40 BDT
Bruce Butler says:
I have to say you shouldn't be insulting the person who reasonably thought this may include a surround mix. I would also like to have had the original Quadraphonic mix that was released on vinyl included here. If they want us to keep buying new formats then they should give us something new for our money and this format is perfect for surround sound.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2014 01:27:39 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 8 Jun 2014 09:00:20 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (7 customer reviews)

Reviewer