3.0 out of 5 stars It WILL lose it's appeal, 23 Mar 2009
This review is from: Powerball 250 Hz Regular (Electronics)
This review is specifically for the regular powerball.

This powerball does NOT include a counter.
Yes, you probably were already aware of that, as I was, but are thinking "how much more could that possibly add?" - I owned the powerball for minutes before I wished I had spent the extra couple quid to get a counter included - it really does add that much more enjoyment and seriously lengthens it's "enjoyability". You CAN buy a counter separately, but this is almost the same price as the powerball itself, so essentially I am just URGING you to get the counter included.

The ball itself is... interesting. Doesn't take too long to get the hang of it (at least it didn't for me, there are still several friends of mine struggling to start it every time they want to "play" with it) and you really can feel the strain when you do it correctly (you get most benefit almost holding your entire arm still and forcing yourself to use only your wrist).

Instantaneous effects are a dead arm and a bulging biceps (fun fact of the day: the biceps is mostly a supinator of the hand, not a flexor of the arm, hence it is worked out with this gadget). These effects are short-lived though, so don't expect to look built simply by using this - you'll need a real workout for that.

Grip has improved considerably and tendons in my wrist are rock solid so I will continue using this but the original point still remains...

GET A COUNTER!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Dec 2009 12:29:42 GMT
Top tip, thanks in advance!!

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 08:06:22 BDT
Brian T says:
Not sure I buy your argument in favour of the counter. HOW does it make it more enjoyable than the standard model? HOW does it lengthen the enjoyability. I've had the opportunity to use both the standard (my own) and the pro (someone else's, with the counter) and frankly the standard model is fine, just as your review more than adequately suggests. The counter was novel for a short time while using my friend's device, but I generally found myself ignoring it the longer I used it, and using the device just as I use my own - while watching TV, NOT the counter. Maybe the counter is good for fitness freaks, but for the casual user, the basic unit is perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 20:11:22 BDT
I can't help but feel the method in which the counter prolongs the enjoyability of this product is pretty obvious - creating a competitive element to something which is otherwise a gimmick. Fitness freaks will undoubtedly not be using this - they will be in gym; people that want to beat their previous or their friends "scores" will find it useful.

Even if the period before someone is bored with this item is only marginally increased with a counter, my point is still valid that it has improved the product - so not sure you can't buy my argument.

Glad it sounds like you got more use out of your powerball than I did though!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (229 customer reviews)

£9.99 - £17.16