1.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works, shame it doesn't work that often., 7 Jan. 2014
This review is from: WD 2 TB My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage - White (Personal Computers)
Other than a few issues with it not copying all files across from an external hard drive (resulting in empty folders), the device is easy to set up out of the box and does everything I want it too, when it's working.

The biggest issue (and hence the one star) as mentioned in other reviews is that it keeps dropping off the network. It will sit there with the blue light on the front and network lights flashing on the back like there's nothing wrong, but the shares won't be accessible from any device (iPhone, iPad or Mac). The only way to make it accessible again is to unplug it and plug it back in, but sometimes even this doesn't work and I have to power cycle my router and hub as well. Over the first couple of days this problem happened only overnight, now it seems to do it any time of day.

If you take a look at the WD Community forums (not run by WD but linked to from their website) this problem has been going on for ages and has affected a lot of people. There are a number of suggested fixes all of which I have tried with no success, including the sure fire fix (suggested by WD in response to other Amazon reviews) of setting a static IP address on the My Cloud and activating port forwarding on the My Cloud and router. Despite the length of time this issue has been about (since launch) WD have not come up with a consistent fix (I've updated my firmware with the latest version).

As for support from WD, the hours their phone lines are open are limited and only available whilst I'm at work, which means I would need to take time off to be at home to guarantee the device is accessible when I call them. I've tried to email their support, but can't register on their site for some reason.

I've got a very basic home network based around a BT home hub and if My Cloud has problems on such a basic network, then I think WD are going to struggle to sell this once more and more bad reviews come in.

If you are thinking of buying this take a look through the WD Community forums (not run by WD) and the reviews on US Amazon to see if you want to take the risk on this device. It may be everything you want or be a complete frustration and waste of time. After 5 days of frustration I'm about to put it back in the box and send it back.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Jan 2014 17:34:13 GMT
S. Faulkner says:
Hi Alban

I work in computer networks and although this is what we call a consumer product (Non-Professional) it does work quite well. However there are a number of reasons for a network device not to work properly across a network. I'll give you a few reasons why your device may not work as intended and what to check to see if you can improve the performance.

Firstly : Check to see if you have any firewalls on internally on your router and also PC firewalls. Just temporally disable ALL of them . Then try your transfer . If this works then you can switch them on again , and look at the logs that will show you what ports or applications are being blocked and ensure you have allowed the device to communicate on all the ports it needs (These are not Physical they are application)

Secondly: Do a simple quick quality check of your network , i suggest a simple ping test of an internet IP + an internal one prehaps the internal gateway. Depending on what operating system your using you can simply use a command window. I'll assume for now your on Win 7 . Click on start in the little search box at the bottom left of your screen , type in the letters cmd and then click on the black icon that appears in the search window. You should now have a command window. Type the command: ping -t www.google.co.uk You should now get replies from the network and they should be constantly running down your screen ... if you get any interruption with a "request time out" this means your dropping packets somewhere and the quality of you internet connection is questionable if you get all "request time outs" it means your firewall is blocking ICMP packets and also means your firewall could be blocking other application ports.

Check Internal network : Using the same command ping -t but with your internal gateway IP . To get your internal gateway IP just type the command Ipconfig and it will reveal your IP configuration , so for example if it shows you that your default gateway is 192.168.1.1 then use the command ping -t 192.168.1.1 . The same principles apply as above.

The other thing that would cause copying issues is IP conflict . To check that you will need to configure a static IP on your NAS well away from your DHCP address range . I'm quite happy to send over any instructions if you want to check that.

I'm pretty sure that a company the size of WD would not allow a product onto the market that doesn't work properly and if it doesn't they would simply create a fix in the code and issue new firmware. All products can have the odd glitch when using software or firmware but to the degree that you refer to I'm doubtful.

I hope this helps

Regards

S

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 09:39:37 GMT
Alban says:
Hi S,

Thanks for the detailed response, I'm in the IT industry myself and fairly ok working with networks. I gave the static IP and port forwarding one more go and finally got it up and running and was even able to access my files remotely from my phone over 3G.

Shame the success lasted less than 48 hours. Last night the My Cloud dropped off the network again (blue light still on the front and network lights happily flashing) and didn't come back until it, the router and hub were rebooted. I then left data copying to it overnight, which worked and the device was still accessible first thing this morning. It has since dropped off the network again.

As you say this is a consumer product and as such I would expect it to be fairly plug and play, albeit with a bit of configuring. I don't expect to be trawling forums to find a fix for known issues, because the company who built it are not addressing the issue. WD have nothing on their knowledge base even acknowledging this as a problem, even though there are a lot of people suffering from it (read the WD Community Forum and Amazon reviews) and their people are replying to Amazon reviews with potential fixes. I suspect the problem is very specific to the individuals network and they are struggling to recreate it.

As I said in the heading to my review, this is a great device when it's working. The reason I've been sticking with it is that when it works it does ever thing I want it to do and does it quite well, it's just not reliable.

Just picking up on your point about a company the size of WD not releasing a product that wasn't ready. It's the first time I've bought one of their products and it is the first time I have bought any bit of IT kit where the user guide has such a glaring errors in it. Section 12 of the MY Cloud guide is just a copy of section 1 and there is an assortment of typos throughout it. This for me is another sign it was rushed to market, probably to gain from the Christmas market.

Posted on 14 Jan 2014 08:23:01 GMT
 says:
"I've got a very basic home network based around a BT home hub "

I think there lies the problem. I am constantly having glitches on my Infinity BB using this hub. The connection is constantly being dropped, devices lose WiFi connection, Powerline adapters lose connection, etc, even with a renewal time of 21 days for IP addresses. I reported this to BT and they said I had only lost my internet connection 12 times in the last month. 12? That should have been 0! I would buy a different router for £100--200 (it has to be multicast) but the fault may be in the modem or line, and BT say those are fine. How can you prove a disconnection when you are disconnected?

If you set a static IP on this drive, let the hub do it for you. Under settings, advanced settings, LAN, you will see connected devices configured by DHCP. Find the NAS and click on it, and you will see its IP address. Change that if necessary, using the same range of IP addresses, and set it as static. That way, the hub knows about that static address. If you change the one assigned by DHCP, you will need to reboot the NAS for it to take effect.

Posted on 20 Feb 2014 07:38:57 GMT
Hello Alban,

We are sorry to hear about the issues you are facing with connectivity to the My Cloud NAS, but we appreciate you taking the time to bring these concerns to our attention.

Please be mindful that the My Cloud NAs is supported with any router that uses a 10/100 (Fast Ethernet) or a 1000 (Gigabit) interface. Given the details of your review, it is important to verify that your My Cloud NAS latest firmware is running alongside the firmware on your LAN's router, as our latest updates should in fact address these concerns.

We should also note that the best performance will be on a Gigabit port, we also recommend following the link below to show you the best stable network setup.

"When transferring large files to or from a Personal Cloud drive, performance may be slower than expected"

We would like the opportunity to assist you with setting up the WD My Cloud Unit, please contact us by phone or email below and mention this Amazon review and you will be transferred to a My Cloud Specialist. We are open from Mon - Thurs 8AM - 6PM UK local and on Friday from 8AM - 5PM.

‹ Previous 1 Next ›