4.0 out of 5 stars Give It Time, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Escape From The Shadow Garden (Cd+Dvd) (Audio CD)
To be honest i did not like this album on the first ccouple of plays ,i thought it was poor.However its a grower and the other afternoon i put it on repeat and listend three or four times and i do like it now.When you consider that Bob and Tony are 67 its a bloody good efort indeed.Its a good blend of rockers and ballads and i am sure that the tour as usual will be a great sucess.Good on them !!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Apr 2014 02:32:16 BDT
I'll have to respectfully disagree. 'On the 13th Day' was what introduced me to Magnum 18 months ago, and I absolutely loved it. I have since gone back and purchased their entire discography. For me, 'Vigilante' is the least of their albums. It is such a product of its time, and so out of character for them, production-wise, that I find it hard to listen to. I'm currently listening to this new one, and am liking it as well. While it's true Bob's voice is a lot more gravelly than it used to be, it's how he sounded when I first heard him, and he uses it well. So, I think it just boils down to different strokes. Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2014 06:57:21 BDT
Factually wrong as each new recent cd has sold more, and 13th was the most successful. Not as successful as Wings of Heaven of course, but nobody sells like in those days anymore.......

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2014 10:37:45 BDT
P. R. Storey says:
Vigilante was when Magnum were trying to break into the american market.It was produced by Roger Taylor,so it did sound a bit more glossy and i thought it was great.I am glad that you are enjoying the recent Magnum albums.I will have another listen.I would recomend Magnums box set called The Gathering,its a great overview of Magnum.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2014 11:16:29 BDT
But do I need an overview - I have the albums? I love Vigilante too, don't worry!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2014 11:30:41 BDT
P. R. Storey says:
Its got four CDS ,different mixes and previously unreleased tracks.Plus a DVD of a concert at Hammersmith Odeon from 1988.Its also got a lovely booklet put in aswell.

Posted on 3 Apr 2014 03:21:21 BDT
miguel says:
I also have the entire collection and i agree there are no young anymore but their music keep being great. This album is a proof of it. Thank god they still can write, play and sing because they are doing it quite well. No dissapointment here. Nice cd+dvd edition too. I am glad about the digipack, i hate those 2 previous digipack design, even i torn one of them..

Posted on 3 Apr 2014 22:27:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2014 22:37:10 BDT
Keep listening to it PR, it will grow on you . Not through familiarity but I think you will start to find the Magnum of old in there. For me it's quite complex and more detailed compared to the last two albums. I admit there are no start talkin love type numbers on here but lots of new sounds and great lyrics / hooks. Interesting it is climbing the Amazon chart again which it didn't do this stage last time. For now though time to get those tour tickets booked.... Oh yes up to now I kept my response quite mild , but Bobs voice ? Let's get it into perspective, shot ? Compared to what ? I know he had a solo album called Immortal but that he obviously isn't. Considering he is knocking on 70' it's sounding pretty good to me, infact, I like the two or three versions he can put out on this album, especially the gravel version that goes well with the up tempo power stuff. Hope you can remain a buyer / fan. Perhaps go see them at a local gig to be sure ?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2014 11:20:15 BDT
P. R. Storey says:
Hi Andrew i had it on repeat yesterday,i must admit it is growing on me.I would probably mark it up a couple of stars now to a four star album.My trouble is i buy a lot of CD'S from Amazon and don't always get the time to give new albums a chance to grow.Alright maybe shot was a bit harsh about Bob's voice.I would like to go and see Magnum live, but they tend to do venues where its all standing and i am dissabled and use a wheelchair,so its a bit difficult.I really need to go where there is a seating area with dissabled facilties.But i would like to see the boys in action.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2014 13:53:38 BDT
Glad you gave it more time, though I must say it hit me on first hearing. As a wheelchair user, surely they will let you be at the front? They should do! At the Junction, Cambridge, they have a small platform, but that's not far!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2014 15:18:36 BDT
P. R. Storey says:
Yeah i went to the Junction at Cambridge t see Gary Numan and they let you get to the front left hand side and they were very helpful.Hope that everyone that is going to the shows has a great time.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›