2.0 out of 5 stars Hail to The Kings (That We Copied..!), 3 April 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
Well now... after reading all of the reviews the common theme was that this is a mish-mash of plagiarism and homage gone slightly wrong, and that's an understatement...
I never was their number one fan but I do think they have produced some good past works and are obviously technically proficient above many similar bands. Having enjoyed their past effort 'Nightmare' very much (thank you Portnoy) I was weary of their self professed new change in style, and it turns out I was right to be.!
Ok so.. new drummer. No issue here but as a drummer speaking if you want to mimic someone do it casually and with nuances but no. Here we have a guy trying to emulate Lars Ulrich and its painful, let me repeat... painful, excrutiating to hear (not that I am a fan of Lars bland style but...).. it is truly woeful, ney ambarassing..!
I think its rich AX7 professing they have changed their style as the only ones who could claim that are the guys who wrote the songs that blatantly, I want to word this better but I must tell it straight down the line, AX7 have ripped off...
I am not going to do a song run down but with track three, 'This Means War' they have crossed the line of homage and bluntly respun metallicas 'Sad but true', even in the verse structure and vocal delivery. I was horrified... Then cue track 4, which is more 'Guns 'n' Roses than even Guns 'n' roses were at times. Spot the Megadeth rip offs and between all of these we default back to a second rate slow plodding uninteresting Metallica tribute act.
To be fair there is a shade of their own past style stamped on here in places. The guitar work, solos for all those shredders out there, are beyond the wah, wah muddly drone of KH but it does not save the day.
If I wanted the black album I would have looked under the Metallica section and not the AX7 section in my local store.
Forgetful choruses, repetitive tunes, -5 stars for originality, painful drumming (oh god its the worst I can ever remember, not worst in delivered I mean the guy can play and I bet in a different scenario he can tear it up and must be able to play past tunes for gigging purposes but what the hell he was thinking for this is a joke. Just give Lars the job if you are that desperate for that sound!!).
I have tried to be positive but I simply cannot. You can again pay tribute or cross the line and AX7 blew the line to smithereens here and went all out rip off. If this is the shape of things to come this is my last purchase from the guys that blew my socks with 'Almost Easy'...

[Add comment]