5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa!!!, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 L IS II USM Lens (Accessory)
Having owned the f4 version for a while (before) I kind of knew what to expect... but I was still surprised by this lens!

First of all, yes, it is heavy... it's built like a tank and weights as much as a turret! :))

That being said it is built exquisitely, holding this in your hand you know you have a quality product, the switches are firm and give you that "quality click" when you move them, the zoom and focus rings are as smooth as a baby's bum and the images... oh the images... as sharp as a razor blade thats has a hidden killer power laser on it - and thats just from 1 day of use that I just got from it!

I am using it on a full frame (Mark 3) so I dont get as much "reach" as a crop sensor... this kind of leaves me wanting a bit more reach at times so I am also going in for a 1.4 and 2x extender.

Shooting indoors is fantastic with this, shooting outdoors I actually had some trouble as the images were coming washed out!

This piece of alien tech scoops up sooo much light that I had to go on my lowest ISO setting and go past f8 at times just so I didnt lose detail when shooting outside (I presently have no filters to cut the light, this takes 77mm filters which if you look on Amazon cost a little more than what I would get after selling one of my kidneys!)

The bokeh is like butter, but you already know that... ;)

Portraits look fabulous. Heck! Put a frog in front and in post processing you're gonna see a prince/princess!
(Does also work the other way around, put prince Charles in front of it and in post processing you will always see a frog!)
(Your results may vary)

Picked it up from Amazon as their return policies in the first year of ownership is second to none, I plan on doing quite a lot of shooting with this and its good to know if anything goes wrong - I'm totally covered. Hat tip to Amazon for getting it to me ASAP as they knew I was going on my trip...

It comes with a very decent carrying pouch / lens cover and I'm glad Canon didnt go all cheap the way they do with a lot of their other lenses (ahem, 70-300L) and included the lens collar with the lens. It's a heavy lens, I'm happier knowing its holding my camera up than thinking the camera is holding this up.

In short, love it, the price still stings (its a new purchase) but I think it will lose its sting as I use the lens more. It's a solid build, you can knock a camera thief on the head with this and it feels like it will still work perfectly fine, the other thing that I keep reminding myself is that this lens holds its value very very well (just in case...).

I wanted to post a few pictures that I took out but looking at other posts I see that Amazon censors the links :(

Got a question? Leave a comment and I'll try to answer it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]