5.0 out of 5 stars The most important (and profound) book I've ever read, 28 July 2012
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life (Paperback)
I came to this book as a complete skeptic. I'd read part of it before (10 years ago), tried to quit without finishing it, and failed miserably. After 24 years of smoking 20 a day, I'd tried everything: cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, gum, inhalator, more hypnosis, champix...and absolutely none of them worked and worse, I had terrible side effects with champix which made me even more miserable.

Miserable is the right word to describe my smoking life too. Can I ever give up? I wondered. Am I always going to smoke? Am I going to die of cancer?

It's funny, because I've spent most of my life thinking "nah" about the last point, or at least not really caring. But then I got married and had two beautiful girls, and I realised this year as the first one got closer to her third birthday and the youngest celebrates her first...damn I'm scared of dying. All of a sudden I'm scared about leaving my family on their own, and I spent many hours puffing away in the garden (come rain, sun or snow) wondering why I kept sucking poison into my lungs in the rain, when I should have been inside running around with my girls.

Which finally drove me to buy this book again. It sat on my bedside table for a few months but finally I opened the front cover again and began to read, thinking "I know what I'm going to read, and it's not going to make any difference because I already KNOW why I smoke, and why I'm so stupid, so what's going to change?"

So began a period of two weeks which has completely changed my life. Why? Because one night on the way home from work I had that typical smokers "panic" as I realised I only had 5 cigarettes left in the packet. I stopped and queued in a garage to buy a packet of 20 Marlboro Lights. As I stood there several thoughts ran through my mind:

1. Everyone in the queue behind me thinks I'm stupid.
2. I've just paid almost £8 to suck poison in my lungs. Hmm, ok I am stupid.
3. I'm angry as the smokers panic is just confirming that this habit is controlling my life. Am I really REALLY that stupid?
4. What's holding me back? Fear. I'm a strong person, why do I fear stopping something which is killing me and actually makes me more stressed, lethargic and restless all at the same time? It's time to stop being scared.

At this point I still had 40 pages of the book left to read, but the words and messages had been taking root and I said to myself "That's the last packet of smokes I'm ever going to buy". I drove home, finished the book that evening, and never opened that last packet of cigarettes.

I went from 20 a day to zero without ANY problems, no significant cravings and no real desire to smoke. 24 years. 20 a day. Countless failed attempts. And now I've done it, just from reading a book.

There's hundreds of reviews on here, and plenty of comment about how it works. All I will say is, if you're a smoker, don't worry about how it works, or if it will. JUST READ THE BOOK. Follow the instructions. And that's it. There is nothing to fear, and if you still want to smoke once you've finished it, no problem - reading the book didn't really cost you anything but a few hours of your time. I can say for me though, it cost me a few hours but saved me years. Literally. I followed Allan Carr's advice to "Make the decision, and never doubt yourself", and now I'm free from the nicotine and the fool that used to whisper: "Go on, spark up, you enjoy smoking".

Because I never did.

Final word: I've been a non-smoker for just over one month at the time of writing. Some will say "but it's only a month". You'd be right, except I'm smiling as I write this as I'm never going to have another cigarette. It'll cost me £120,000 after all....

Edit: Just looked at this review again. It's now almost exactly 18 months since I quit. Since that last packet I talked about in my review, I've neither bought cigarettes nor even come close to smoking another one. I'm free :)

[Add comment]