4.0 out of 5 stars I give it 4 stars 'cause it's still a awesome box set!, 22 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Ark Of The Covenant: The Complete Century Media Years (Audio CD)
Yes I know about the 2 second breaks between tracks on the aforementioned albums contained within.

I look at it this way: ever buy a new car where everything looks perfect? Then you get in a minor accident that dimples a door or bumper. Until it's fixed everytime you look at your car you focus right on the blemish...get OCD about it.

Everything about this box set is perfect EXCEPT what the two other reviewers have mentioned (and the outrageous current asking price!!). The box itself, the 72page booklet, DVD (NTSC), the whole package darn it...fantastic!!!
If you focus on those "breaks" as the bottomline criteria? Well I guess that's that.

I don't know how people listen to their music these days. I've got so much in my collection I'd be lucky if I get one third of it in rotation before I die (I'm in my 60's). As I sit back in my easy chair, crack a brew and appease the God of Smoke, I rotate through my TIAMAT collection in blissful contemplation. I love the music. When I get to those questionable seconds I just...GET OVER IT and move on into my flow with the sounds.

Yeah I know about that flaw in production. However it's not like I need it to be perfect anyway. Ever buy a cd new and you find out that for some unknown reason (nothing visible) there is a particular track that happens to stick? Well for one thing, I hope it sticks on the last track and not in the middle of the disk(ha ha).

Remedy: buy the respective albums individually (without the glitch) and replace the ones that you have a 'problem' with. I know its extra cash (get a nice used copy then), and its certainly a discredit to those who put this together, but really, I found it an 'arrrgh' moment and nothing more.

It's one thing to have a collectors box set that's perfect as it just sits on your shelf. It's a whole other thing to have a collectors box set that you actually listen to more than once and find yourself rewarded with each listen.

Taking in consideration the flaws mentioned elsewhere and a slip in overall appreciation of some of the latter discs (afterall, this is the 'body' of Tiamat's work) I give this set 4 stars. It is madness regarding the current asking price! I paid around $65.00 when this was issued a few years ago.

Included certificate: 1182/3000

I have similar big ticket boxes from GRAVEDeath Unhallowed, SAMAELA Decade In Hell - The Complete Century Media Years and SINISTERAltered Since Birth 1990-2010 (9cd & Dvd).
Another "arrgh!" moment for me is that included in the SAMAEL box set is 2 DVD's in PAL format (me no can play in PAL). There's always something (or someone) that tries to offset the cool. Let it go.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]