4.0 out of 5 stars Small and perfectly formed, 16 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Toshiba NB300-108 10.1-inch Netbook (Atom N450 1.6 GHz, 1 GB, 250 GB, 6 cell battery, WLAN, WebCam, Win 7 Starter (Black)) (Electronics)
It is always going to be a compromise, deciding whether to go for a 10" netbook or 11" ultra notebook. On the one hand, the larger 11 inch display enables 1024 x 768 resolution and thus less scrolling - but that requires a physically larger system. The 10 inch display enables 1024 x 600 and frankly, that is quite manageable - especially if a browser other than IE is used [IE takes a lot of screen real estate these days].

I bought the Toshiba NB300-108 when a brand new 11 inch system from another top manufacturer turned out to have a hardware fault once I tried to link to my wireless router.

The Toshiba looks and feels a quality product, though the glossy outside finish quickly gets smudged - something quickly sorted by putting on a Lapjack or other such skin.

The keyboard is excellent and the pad is simply the best I have tried, as it scrolls up and down and across, selects on a tap, and is very sensitive. While I had expected to move the wireless mouse from my full size laptop, I don't think I need to as using the pad is so natural and a doddle.

The display itself is good and clear, and so far, the battery seems to have a very acceptable life [early days yet].

The system comes with Windows 7 Starter and in reality, that is all that is needed. Nevertheless, I have ordered an Anytime Upgrade from Amazon to Windows 7 Premium. That is for fairly frivolous reasons and is not a must.

What is a must to add - for me, at least - is an external DVD drive. I elected for a cheap option - I save any DVD cutting for my desktop system. I found
Slimline USB External CD-RW, DVD-ROM Drive for Laptops, Desktop and Netbooks
to be highly effective, though there are quite a few available at Amazon and elsewhere.

I have successfully loaded a fair amount of software onto the system and it all works - the software is quite resource intensive, so I'm impressed.

I removed the antivirus software that was preinstalled and put on Norton Internet Security 2010 which is the product I use for all my PCs. It works fine. I also installed Microsoft Office Home though there is a trial version on the system anyway. It works fine.

The NB300 linked immediately to my router and works effectively wirelessly. The 250 Gb hard drive works quickly and soundlessly.

The camera is a rudimentary affair, but that is all that I need as anything better just shows up my blemishes more.....

In summary, the Tosh is a good, and robust system. I find myself surprised and happy that I can do a lot more on it that I had anticipated on a netbook. I recommend it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Mar 2010 09:13:04 GMT
C. Clarke says:
Great detailed review Bruce, much appreciated. I have one question. How do you find the graphic capabilities. I have looked at many notebooks and they seem to have intergrated graphics GMA or the such like rather then a dedicated graphics card. This saves on power and keeps the price down. I wonder how the Toshiba handles movies or Itunes videos for example. I realise that this many not be something that you'd need to do all the time, but on the go it would be good to watch the odd short movie with such a portable device. Thanks in advance CraigC.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›