5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: Solo Concerts: Bremen and Lausanne (Audio CD)
Having read the review written by "Paracelsus1966" above (now below due to number of votes) I was moved to recount a small part of my experience with this wonderful music. After buying the 3LP box set I recorded it on to a cassette.

In the early 1970's I had a summer job at a café located in an historic park within an old court yard and its buildings. There were outside tables in the court yard. On Sunday mornings the café would be quiet and I would play "Lausanne March 20th 1973" and other pieces of music, it washing over the courtyard. Keith's solo piano music nearly always drew comments from customers who had sat in the court yard reading Sunday papers or books. It was a wonderfully relaxing place to take refreshments. It got to the point where people would come regularly on Sunday mornings for refreshments and specifically ask to hear the final passage from the Lausanne concert. The last 22 minutes of this work is truly beautiful. On some occasions once the piece had finished the courtyard would empty.

I recall the pleasure I got from knowing how much these strangers were enjoying the music which I loved so much and am still moved by today.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Sep 2011 18:21:39 BDT
C. Herbert says:
I go in cycles listening to stuff and Jarrett's turn came around recently, after a couple of years of nothing more than the occasional first five minutes of Köln. All my KJ has been acquired over many years from remainder bins and as special offers so there are considerable gaps.
Anyway, whilst listening to Vienna I rather idly logged in to Amazon to see what holes might be fillable (cheaply) and read the Solo Concerts reviews. To cut the chase I've now paid the going rate for a KJ album out of curiosity, anybody who knows me will tell that this is a rare event.
And yes, the whole thing is brilliant - up there with Köln, the last 20 minutes are fabulous. But the last 9 minutes are utterly electrifying, I could no more read the Sunday papers to this than I could fly; I might dance around the courtyard - but read the paper, never!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2011 21:39:20 BDT
B says:
In all honesty; I never believed these folk in the courtyard were concentrating on the reading material they had with them, not least as many departed after the end of the piece. On some occasions, I was so deeply involved in it, customers had to wait for it to finish before I would serve them!

I'm sorry to say there are a number of lengthy passages within the 'Sun Bear' concerts which as you probably know is a 6 CD box set(extra expense....), which are equally wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2011 19:23:41 BDT
C. Herbert says:
I will need counselling when the bill comes no doubt but the Sun Bear concerts are actually somewhere in the post, on their way here as I type

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2011 20:06:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jan 2012 17:54:09 GMT
B says:
Am now feeling a sense of responsibility! However, as I'm sure you will invest the time.......there is much to listen to.... i'm sure you will be rewarded. I do hope you enjoy it.

Dare I mention another: 'Staircase'. I hope you have this already. I have managed to convince more people of the quality of the music on this release than any other KJ.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2011 15:37:59 BDT
C. Herbert says:
Staircase was one of my first, along with Changes, Invocations and Eyes of the Heart. Picked up for about £1 each, as I recall the postage was more.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

5.0 out of 5 stars (7 customer reviews)

Reviewer