13 of 15 people found the following review helpful
Probably the Best Ebook on Writing Ebooks so far,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months! (Kindle Edition)
If you write, buy this book. What John Locke spells out in this guide is a few simple truths that help you focus on the "best-selling" part of being an author. Here are 5 takeaways to think on:
* Write for a specific audience (know who they are and don't compromise). Locke makes full use of recurring characters and themes between books that he knows his audience likes.
* Don't be afraid to write about what interests you, not what you think will sell. One of Locke's genres is Westerns. Who'd a thunkit? See next point.
* You probably aren't writing Shakespeare or Dickens. Focus on getting the job done rather than your magnus opus. Locke would rather write one book and then worry about making the next book better than going back to the original and trying to perfect it. Easier to steer a moving bicycle etc.
* Write many books. Locke can sell $1 books because his readers will buy one then buy the other 10. You need a large portfolio of books to profit as a self-publisher.
* Write blog posts sparingly. Locke will write 1 post/week rather than every day and take time to write this post. He'll use the post to sell his writing skills.
A lot of books out there focus on writing style and publishing. These are important but not deal-breakers in your success. Both can be outsourced to some degree and are process to be followed. Writing engaging content, however, is your art and getting that right means focusing on the main thing. Buy this book.