5.0 out of 5 stars Why is this entire book in italics?, 25 Nov 2011
This review is from: HELP!: How to Become Slightly Happier and Get a Bit More Done (Kindle Edition)
After purchasing the Kindle version I was disappointed to find that the entire book is in italics which I find to be such a poor reading experience that I won't bother reading it. Why anyone would think that italics is a good idea for an entire book is beyond me.

Update: 09 December 2011

Since posting my original 1 star review complaining about the (now fixed) italics issue I have now read this book and have updated my review to 5 stars. An excellent easy read and the type of book that can be dipped into at random. Lots of recommendations for further reading included as well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2011 11:41:03 GMT
Properjob says:
Italics, really? In that case I won't purchase it. If anyone believes different then tell me.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2011 12:48:33 GMT
The italics issue has now been corrected

Posted on 25 Nov 2011 14:04:11 GMT
Martin says:
The issue has indeed been corrected. Thanks to phoenix for alerting me to this. I deleted the book from my Kindle then resent the book but the issue remained. I then contacted Amazon support via email and within a few minutes minutes I received a reply stating that it had been resent to me. I then removed the book from my Kindle and resent again from my list of Kindle purchases and it is now fine. Excellent support!

Posted on 26 Nov 2011 08:38:18 GMT
SJJ says:
Same thing here. But the probem has been corrected. New downloads should be OK. Old copies can be updated - Kindle Customer Services are very efficient!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 14:30:07 GMT
I'm the author of this book. Many apologies to anyone who encountered the italics problem, which occurred during part of the time that this book was offered as the Kindle Daily Deal. As far as I know, Amazon support have been excellent in resolving it, but if anyone still has an issue resolving the problem, please email me at oliver AT oliverburkeman.com and I'll look into it.

Oliver Burkeman

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2011 14:20:44 GMT
I also encountered this issue and my attempts to get it fixed didn't go as smoothly as other people's. My first email to Amazon received the response that I would have to wait for a new version to be issued by the publishers, but from what people have said here, and on Twitter, it was clear that a corrected version should have been available immediately. I waited a few days to see if anything happened and tried resending the book to my Kindle a few times, to no avail, so contacted customer services again. The first level of support re-sent the book to me, but it still had the italicisation, so I was passed on to the second level of support who were finally able to send me a non-italicised version! This version though, while now much more readable, has ragged right type-setting rather than being fully justified as is the norm with my other Kindle books - should this be the case?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2011 19:44:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Dec 2011 18:59:15 GMT
Thank you to everyone who worked to fix this. I deleted and resent it, and although it appeared in italics again, when I moved a page it reset itself.

However, it only resets a chapter, and everything I start a new one I have to delete and resend it, which doesn't always work.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›