1.0 out of 5 stars Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 inch Tablet (16GB, WIFI, GPS, Android 3.2) - Light Silver (Personal Computers)
I was so looking forward to this device I had it on pre-order. This was going to be my perfect size, light weight, great screen and allow me to escape from the clutches of Apple, iTunes and their app policy, and finally relegate my iPhone 4 to "just a phone".

After using for 2 months now this fails in almost every single regard, in fact this demonstrates how little Samsung test their products before releasing them, there are so many fundamental flaws with this device I'll probably miss some but here goes...

1. Yes the screen is gorgeous, and the device very light. The back is so slippery you'll find it easily slipping out of your hands, in fact the small raised "Samsung" logo is the only thing to grip on to.

2. The VERY obvious (Samsung are you listening?) way to hold & use this device is in landscape mode. Samsung "engineers" thoughtfully placed:

a) The headphone jack almost dead centre in the short edge so as to ensure it is as awkward and annoying as possible to hold when watching films in landscape mode with headphones in.
b) The power and volume rockers are on the far left long edge and next to each other almost sized identically. This ensures two wonderful features a) You'll naturally hold your tab in one hand and hit the power button or adjust the volume - totally annoying mid film/music as you magically find you device switching off or blowing off your ear drums b) You'll go to adjust the volume whilst watching something and hit the power button instead - again switching your device off... Grrrrr.

Frankly both are asinine design choices and should have been flagged in any basic usability testing. Samsung - there really is a reason the iPhone headphone jack, power and volume controls are where they are.

3. Don't believe the rumours you hear about the battery life. Mine lives permanently in "Airplane Mode" otherwise it's dead even unused within a day. Use it and switch it off is the only viable solution.

4. The Samsung cr@pware installed is staggering both in it's complete and utter uselessness, and it's total inability to uninstall any of it (Pulse News anyone? Anyone?). A key reason I didn't buy an iPad, but apparently it still isn't my device to get rid of their rubbish as uninstall is all blocked.

5. The Samsung "TouchWiz" is mostly useless eye candy and adds somewhere between zero and no value whatsoever. It does ensure the GMail app falls over at least twice a day, and for web browsers to mysteriously crash regularly.

6. Android 3 is frankly a disgrace. How any of this this ever left QA on a tablet is beyond me. Don't even get me started on the utterly awful keyboards installed - either Android (English) or the Samsung. Using either for sentences longer than 3 words makes you want to beat the Samsung engineers round the head with it. There is no auto-correct and the key placement is by a 4 year old. Typing the word "I'm" on my iPhone takes two keys presses (for 3 characters) typing "I'm" on this device takes 6 keys presses!!!!!

7) I can't emphasise this enough, text entry is so painful I send email from my iPhone because of even basic text selection and the keyboard.

The long and the short of it is this....

1) The screen is gorgeous.
2) The size and weight is perfect.
3) The power/volume and headphone sockets positioning are intensely annoying and always will be.
4) The total fail is their Android implementation which ruins an otherwise 3/5 device.
5) This device is not enjoyable to use - it is frustrating and annoying at every turn.

Incidently, the web browsers on Android 3 are staggeringly bad, but last week's release of Mozilla Auora (Firefox 12) is a delight, fast and furious and very useable. No Chrome on A3 so get this if you are using it.

My advice: Avoid this device like the plague until Ice Cream Sandwich become available. Then get ICS on it, root the device and get the Samsung cr@pware off ASAP. If that doesn't work there'll be a second hand one going up on eBay.... because frankly if this is their best effort I may as well buy an iPad.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Mar 2012 18:20:21 GMT
Paul D says:
Why is it so VERY obvious that it should be used in landscape mode?

I Have an Ipad2 and a Galaxy S2 phone......both of which rarely get used in landscape mode (unless watching a video.)
As you state this is the perfect size / weight ...hence my son looking at these, but for me the big issue is the comparative cost vs Ipads

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 18:47:04 GMT
You answered your own question - unless it's watching video - the point I kept making.

However, the reason I "got" this device is you'll will find this size works perfectly in landscape mode because you can drive it easily with both thumbs - something you can't do with the iPad. Dual thumbs is great for fast web browsing and game play. Even using it as a Kindle I use in landscape mode it's just a more natural posture, when I've handed it to other people they instinctively rotate it.

Posted on 16 Mar 2012 00:34:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Mar 2012 15:19:30 GMT
Mr. P Benson says:
Yesterday Amazon had this device for sale for 425, today it is 465. I am wondering why in less than 24 hours, the price has increased by 40... anyone? We need Shaggy, Scooby and the Mystery Machine to figure this one out for us. I was going to buy this until I saw the almost 10% price rise in JUST 24 hours... think I'll do without, that's just PLAIN GREEDY AMAZON!

EDIT: 20:38 16/03/12 Price has been changed back to 424.28 - strange!

EDIT: then on 18/03/12 price back to 466.80...Amazon is a regular yo-yo of pricing... anyone know why?

EDIT: then on 19/03/12 it's now 424.03

EDIT: then on 20/03/12 it is once again 466.80

EDIT: today 21/03/12 now 423.80

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012 07:14:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Mar 2012 07:15:36 GMT
Supo Orims says:
This is a superb device, 1 star is extreme whatever the complaints. You are too picky. Even ipad 2 is bad in your eyes. Buyers, choose wisely, don't let this review shift your minds. Check it in a store like Currys or pc world before buying.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 00:44:20 BDT
mr a says:
Who is this! What a laughable review. I have this and an ipad and this is in another league.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2012 11:16:36 BDT
I'm an experienced technologist, and it seems the professionals agree with me. I stand by everything I said... a 3/5 device ruined by their poor Android implementation:

CNet: 3.5/5
reviews.cnet.com/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab-7/4505-3126_7-35118037.html

PocketNow: 3.5/5

Who say:
"It is Honeycomb that hampers the Tab 7.7 almost to the point of rendering it unusable at times. The Tab 7.7 is promised an upgrade to ICS in Q1, which can't come soon enough. We recommend that you hold off buying the Tab 7.7 until ICS is available."

PC World: 3.75/5

Who say:
"let down by the Android Honeycomb OS"

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 19:02:39 BDT
Alan says:
How do they agree with you when those scores are all 3.5 or 3.75 out of 5 and your review is 1 out of 5?

I bet you think that the Jaffa cakes are not orangey enough either.

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 21:39:27 BDT
Raven says:
I actually own a 7.7 and iPad the 7.7 see`s far more usage this review in my opinion is simply biased. Honeycomb could be better, and the 7.7 Tab as a whole is an extremely capable device; build quality display, battery life, portability, performance are all top class. Video and audio playback is equally good with near "wire" quality of Bluetooth audio thanks to the inclusion of APT-X. For me the Tab 7.7 is a 4 and rising once ICS is available, one star is simply nonsense, the Tab 7.7 is not perfect, yet it is the best in class for it`s size.

The only real downside is the pricing, although once you try a 7.7 you can begin to see what you are paying for, fantastic form factor, tremendously solid feel to the hand, if you try a Tab 7.7 you will clearly see that this review is completely inaccurate from button size to battery life........

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2012 10:07:32 BDT
Urgh.... I've said this twice now, once in my review and once in a comment, so last time....

This is a 3/5 device ruined by their abysmal Android implementation. That costs them 2* in my opinion.

As for this device being a 4* product - that is really the nonsense.

A 500 device that... has no spell checking... no auto-complete... and pathetic text selection!! Seriously?? You and I obviously have wildly different ideas of what 500 should buy you, or you don't ever write any emails or texts, and rarely copy & paste anything.

For heavens sake - even my 5 year old Nokia phone can do auto-complete!!

Yet another example... Safari on my iPhone can open half a dozen tabs, switch into Airplane mode and still continue reading all the web pages it has opened. *No browser* (Firefox/Aurora/Stock/Opera/Dolphin) on this device can do this, every one I've tried says "No connection available" and kills all the tabs I've already loaded. It make this "wonderful" device useless for browsing/reading when on the London Underground to flying, or just when there is no 3G connection.

This device is a mostly useless expensive toy. Period.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2012 10:21:51 BDT
Alan says:
Man. Just buy something like SwiftKey from Play. It has the best auto correction ever and learns from your sms and emails and facebook if you allow it. The point of android is it is the most customisable of all the current platforms for tablets.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›