5.0 out of 5 stars Just Arrived!, 11 Sept. 2010
My Kindle arrived this morning and I impatiently opened the package to get my first hands on look at what I have been waiting patiently for. I was surprised at how light, tactile and easy it was to hold. First impressions are very important to me and the Kindle did not disappoint.

As with all the 3G models it was already set up for me and once plugged in to charge it immediately updated the firmware to the latest version. I connect it to my wireless network without any problems at all and tested the purchasing with a cheap book by an author I like. The book was on my Kindle before I could leave the Amazon site to check ... absolutely brilliant.

The eInk screen is incredibly easy on the eye - there is no way to increase the brightness of the screen as it is not backlit - which is as it is supposed to be and is why there is no issue with eye strain. The text is clear, ledgible at almost every text size setting - no blurring around the edges. Page turns are fast and although the screen inverts as the page turns it is not an unpleasant or distracting feature. Some people may take a little while to adjust, but then this is an electronic device; but it does emulate a book convincingly.

A number of people have complained about the keypad buttons being too small and the 5 way navigator being cumbersome. I haven't exactly got small fingers and thumbs, they're quite chunky actually lol, but there is a knack to using the naviagator. Centre your thumb in the recess and just wiggle it gently in the direction you want and it will obey and play without any fuss. Using the keypad is similar - just make sure that you are central on the keys when you press them and all will be fine.

Charging took about an hour or so, but I always leave a new battery driven device on charge for several hours to ensure the battery is properly conditioned.

I love the combined USB lead and charger - there is no separate USB lead, the lead supplied plugs into either your computer so you can transfer files to and from your Kindle and it also fits neatly into the supplied plug if you want to mains charge the unit. Very nice idea that just works!

I've not tried PDF's as yet, I really never did like PDF's in the first instance - it would be better to convert your PDF's into Word documents and Calibre is a nice bit of kit to do this with.

The experimental features I've not ventured into as yet, the whole idea of buying the Kindle is to read books - the experimentals will be a bit of fun to explore when time permits.

I've read all the other reviews, watched the videos and was impressed by all the positives and took note of all the negatives. My own first impressions are that this is an amazing piece of kit, does what it says on the tin and it is one of those devices that will either enthrall or disappoint depending on what you are expecting and how you view it subjectively. All I can say is that I love it and am looking forward to many, many years of reading pleasure.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]