5.0 out of 5 stars Hyped up product a bit of a let down initially, but a rethink gets it 5 stars!!, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Asus RT-N66U Dual Band Wireless N900 Gigabit Router (Personal Computers)
I bought this to replace a BT Home Hub 3 after reading many positive reviews, (here and elsewhere) about how great it was, how much faster it was and how it can reach parts of the house that other routers can't.
It was the promised range improvement that interested me, as we live in a house with a couple of wifi drop out zones and the Home Hub and other routers have not been able to reach them.
The item arrived from Germany only 2 days after ordering, which was really impressive. Set up was easy, after a quick trip to buy a UK adapter for the 2 pin plug. I setup 2 wifi networks, 1 on the 2.4 and 1 on the 5 Ghz band to lighten the load on the network, as there are 5 of us here plus all the usual tech..tablets, laptops, phones and consoles.
Most items can't find the 5 Ghz network and those that can achieve a max download speed of 5 Mbps. So we are all on the 2.4 Ghz network, getting up to 35 Mbps, which is exactly the same as the BT HH3/infinity 2. We also still have the same 2 wifi dropout zones as before.
I am therefore a bit disappointed with the router.
Although its' performance is perfectly acceptable it is no better than the HH3 or any other router that I have tried for that matter.

Edit : 04/02/2014

We have just changed ISP from BT Infinity 2 to Sky unlimited fibre. Using the Sky Hub at the master phone socket, I have reconfigured the Asus router as a wireless repeater and placed it in the upstairs room where previously no router had been able to reach. The result was incredible...this room is now the best wifi zone in the house. There is zero loss of signal and download/upload speeds are not reduced at all...(avg, 30 Mbps/10 Mbps respectively). We don't have the super fast (76Mbps) fibre and the estimated Sky speeds were up to 40 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. So I am happy to give this product 5 stars all day long. I had originally awarded it 3 stars after being disappointed with performance prior to this edit.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Nov 2013 19:29:34 GMT
LoftyHeights says:
Regarding your wifi dropout zones are there any mirrors near these areas I had one room in my house with basically no signal but i realised that a mirror was on the other side of a wall to this room once i moved it I could get a signal in that room. The mirror must have reflected the signal.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2013 07:30:07 GMT
Don Porter says:
Hi and sorry, (I only just saw this)...
The router is in a little box room at the front of the house, upstairs. The drop out zones for the wifi signal are at the back of the house..an upstairs bedroom and a downstairs room below. This part of the house is an extension. I have tried 4 different routers, including the Asus and none have been able to reach this part of the house. I have also tried Devolo dLAN home plugs with no success either.
Since I wrote the review of the Asus I have been able to move the router and perch it outside and above the doorframe of the box room. There has been some improvement and both rooms now get 2 bars wifi signal.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

5.0 out of 5 stars (5 customer reviews)

Reviewer