2.0 out of 5 stars Cynical. money-grabbing XBox is just a 'box'. And it's quite noisy., 19 Dec 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox One Console with Kinect (Console)
You really can't do anything much (except play games) on this without an XBox Live subscription. It doesn't stream from home DLNA servers (I have a NAS drive that my TV and DVR both stream from). You can't use IE without XBL, and I think the same applies to Skype. The Windows 8 interface really only seems to suit tablets; I've used it with a mouse on a laptop and it's awful, and here again, but using Kinect, it's awful. To select tiles you have to 'push' them, which would be fine but for the fact that it's fiddly aligning your hand image over them and then the parallax of the Kinect viewing your hand shifts as you push forwards. This means that it thinks your hand is moving sideways as well as forwards so it's very hard to push on the tile you're aiming for.

All this "XBox on" business is fine for a couple of goes but it doesn't turn the TV off again - it only turns it on. As for attaching my Freeview DVR (Humax Fox T2) - where's the benefit? I can watch its TV picture through the passthru interface but the XBox doesn't "control" it at all. It can't switch it on or off; it can't do anything except passively view. I understand that there's perhaps an XBox software update that will help with this, but it's really not creating any kind of entertainment hub in my living room, it's just in the way of using the DVR natively.

And it's noisy. I have to presume this is a problem with my unit as other people describe it as "silent". I can hear fans running all the time; it's like the PSU fan of a ten year old PC. I'll be chasing a return for it as soon as it looks like the Xmas rush on shipping is over (it took a week to arrive by DPD after Amazon said it was despatched for next-day delivery, but that's a different issue).

The only reason I've given it as much as two stars is because my children are enjoying Zoo Tycoon. I've been playing FIFA 14 and it could be on any console from the last decade. It's in 1080p? Well whoopdy-woo.

But for the fact that we've bought games for Xmas to go with it, and we sold our Wii to contribute toward the 400 and odd quid, I'd be sending it back.

It's a massive disappointment to me, and I feel a bit sick about knowing that to get anything out of it I'm going to *have* to pay for XBL.

UPDATE 2014-01-02

Requested a replacement from Amazon, which arrived before Xmas (and even before I'd had notification that one was on its way!), but that unit was even noisier. A friend bought their XB1 from somewhere else so I'm going to have a listen to that to see if it's anything to do with the FIFA 14 batch that Amazon has/had. Also, I've taken the XB1 out of the Humax DVR to TV link, so now it's just a console without any "integration" with the Humax as the noise was irritating. It takes a very long time to download anything, but this could be my TalkTalk broadband. Still only offering two stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Dec 2013 11:09:38 GMT
Michael says:
If your console is loud I strongly advise taking it back, mine as most others are silent, you have to press your ear up against it to hear anything at all.

You can stream to the Xbox One, videos, music, from PC. The Xbox will turn off your TV, check your settings. It is probably not enabled by default because a lot of people may want to have their TV on after playing a game for watching TV for example, I know I do :) I can't comment on set top box features as I have not connected one as of yet. Looks like you have some exploring to do on your X1 :)

I love FIFA 14 and own it on the Xbox 360 this is an improvement; It's graphically better but more importantly plays better too, if you've played the game on both generations you'll know it plays differently. Most of the time with FIFAs (and other franchises) there are small refinements and small incremental updates going forward, if you go backwards to a 10 year old game I think you'd see the difference.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 11:32:42 GMT
@Michael, thanks for the comment. It certainly isn't anything like silent, and it's distracting if trying to watch TV, so I will be sending it back for replacement. Streaming "from PC" means having a PC on all the time, which seems like overkill (and a bit of a step backwards) when the NAS is already there as DLNA server and sharing folders/files with SMB and NFS. Hopefully a bit more experimenting will help me to iron out my concerns.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 23:06:30 GMT
Michael says:
@Mr. A. D. Garratt - You are right, the streaming thing I mentioned is not ideal, I just thought i'd mention it incase you/others reading did not know about it. There's talk of apps which may come later, so it will hopefully get better :)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 14:54:18 GMT
Ant says:
My Xbox One is really silent. In the past I sold my Xbox 360 soon as I got it on release day, I have tried numerous PS3s of all 3 varieties and got rid of them all within days, I even managed to get a PS4 on launch day without a pre-order and after an hour playing Knack I knew I would not be able to live with it, and all of this was simply down to fan noise. I am a little too sensitive to fan noise admittedly but it really annoys me to the extent I can no longer enjoy playing games.

Now I can honestly say the Xbox One is the quietest console I have had in years, less noisy than the fat and thin PS2, Gamecube, Wii (quiet fan but noisy drive), Wii U again quiet fan but noisy drive which spins all the time a disc is in even when doing other things.

The only noise I have ever heard from my Xbox One is the drive spin when installing a game then once installed that stops. The whole thing is so incredibly quiet and I am a really fussy person when it comes to fan noise.

I have read that there is some Xbox Ones with faulty fans that make a lot of noise, maybe you have one of those.

I would much rather have a PS4 because I am a big JRPG fan but for me the PS4 is way too noisy, the fan in the one I had could be heard over moderate volume, now I can play at night with the volume down and not hear a thing from the Xbox One.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 21:57:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2013 21:58:10 GMT
Resh says:
PS4 also make weird disc noise when you insert a game disc. Wasnt expecting that honestly from a nextgen console.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (534 customer reviews)

429.99 389.00