5.0 out of 5 stars A very lucky find!, 10 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this Kindle version by chance after downloading the Kindle app on my iPad. To be honest the reason I got it was that it was very cheap and I wanted to test out to see if the app worked!

As there was nothing on TV I decided to read a few pages - AND WAS GRIPPED! I could not put the book down and even though it got into the early hours and I had work the next day, I kept trying to take in more and more pages, each one keeping me on the edge of my seat.

The background to the story is captivating and much is baseed on hisorical fact but with a good dose of mystery and intrigue. The main character (Ben Hope, an ex SAS Major) is very likeable and the array of characters he comes into contact with range from interesting to ruthlessly sadistic! I also loved the way his investigation takes him through different countries and settings.

It annoys me when people dismiss this book as a mock up of the De Vinci Code. Why other authors cannot take a similar line and make it their own is beyond me. I for one could not get stuck into the De Vinci Code, however, The Alchemists Secret seduces you from the word go. i thoroughly enjoyed it and will be reading the rest of the Ben Hope series in the next few weeks.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Sep 2011 01:10:06 BDT
Wow! Well, like you, I tried a simple book after managing to obtain the Kindle app for the WebOS HP Touchpad that I bought very cheaply (not easy, as it is not available to download for the UK), although my first Kindle book was free.

Well I bought and read Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy (which I wanted to read prior to watching the new film); a great choice which was very "unputdownable", so after reading your review of Alchemists I thought that I would buy it.

Needless to say (but I am anyway!), I can tell you're spot on, after reading one chapter, rarely have I felt so hooking into continuing to read.. such a long list of why this, why that, that I just have know the answers to... somehow I think I will be sleeping less for a while. Thank you:-)

Posted on 7 Oct 2011 10:48:48 BDT
Mrs Murray says:
brill review! With all the info I needed to make my mind up ! thanks :)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2011 23:36:37 BDT
You are more than welcome Richard. I ended up reading all six books in the Ben Hope series, downloading the next one whilst finishing the final words of the one in my hand. Hopefully a 7th book will materialise. I can also recommend The Moses Legacy (different author) which is in a similar vein and also annoyingly brilliant. Just off to read the final chapters of it now!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2011 23:39:24 BDT
Hope you enjoy the book Lisa. If so, take a look at the others in the Ben Hope series. You won't be disappointed :-)

Posted on 1 Nov 2011 22:26:49 GMT

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 19:53:13 BDT
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (529 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist