5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D3100, 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (14.2MP) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
Having been away from 'proper cameras' for the best part of 10 years I decided to venture into the world of DSLR's. My Dad and Brother had both bought Nikon D40s last year and I was impressed with their results, so I had already decided on a Nikon. I spent a couple of months weighing up whether to buy the D40's replacement, the D3000 or blow my budget and buy the new D3100. In the end, after reading lots of reviews and a slight drop in price I went for the D3100. I made the right choice!!!

The updated guide mode (improved from the D3000) makes taking superb pictures simple, even for a novice such as me. Picture's are superb, warm and clear, and I am thoughly pleased with the results. Live view is a good addition if setting up group shots on a tripod to then be taken on the self timer, but for all other shots I've found the viewfinder to be much better and quicker at focusing.

The bonus for me was also the inclusion of full HD video (which can only be used in Live view mode). I had read reports that the video was a bit shakey or wobbily, and that the video record button was in an awkward place, but I've got to say that I have found video to be fine taking 'normal videos' (I have never felt the need to shake the camera vilently from side to side to make the film shakey whilst filming; as shown on some video reviews I had seen - to prove that video was shakey?). As for the record button being in an awkward place... I've found it to be fine. In fact, no different to most compact camera's (with video) that I've owned.

This camera is everything that I had hoped for, and a little bit more. I probably wont buy another 'proper camera' for quite a few years and so I wanted something that would not only last, but would help me rediscover photography and allow me to grow. If you are a novice and/ or, returning to photography after a considerable time away, then I would highly recommend the Nikon D3100.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Feb 2011 17:03:52 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 21 Nov 2011 15:49:07 GMT]

Posted on 5 Aug 2011 16:16:36 BDT
Strafalario says:
does anybody know if it comes with european (2pin) plug charger or any adaptor?
Thank you!!!

Posted on 22 Jul 2012 11:45:03 BDT
how good is the zoom on the D3100, does it bring the objects a lot closer, & how far away?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2012 19:37:26 BDT
Porl says:
The zoom is as good as any 18 - 55mm lense bringing close ups even closer and meduim distance shots to close up. The anti-shake motor built into the lense works a treat. Certainly much, much better than my previous compact camera. If you are wanting to take shots of subjects a considerable distance away (ship at sea for example) then you will need something like a 70- 300mm lense. But this would be the same for any DSLR camera. Hope this helps?

Posted on 28 Oct 2012 14:56:15 GMT
S. Rothwell says:
does this come with a shoulder strap and lens cap?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2012 21:14:23 GMT
Porl says:
Yes, when my camera arrived it came with a shoulder strap

Posted on 17 Nov 2012 08:45:30 GMT
A. Denney says:

Posted on 17 Nov 2012 08:45:31 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 17 Nov 2012 08:45:59 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2012 09:30:24 GMT
Porl says:
Thank you for the English lesson. I am sure your pearl of wisdom is a welcome addition to all who are looking for a review of a camera.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 09:57:45 GMT
J. Bird says:
I treated myself to a DS3100 in 2011 and never regretted it. It offers professional quality combined with simple operation. Probably the best camera I've owned. John Bird.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›