5.0 out of 5 stars The single biggest secret influence on all your favourite artists, 30 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Neu! (Audio CD)
Like many you of out there, I was well aware of Neu! from years of NME, Uncut, Wire reading. But I had never actually heard them, and assumed they were a slightly groovier version of Kraftwerk - which I guess would be OK but not essential. How wrong was I....Oh my word - if you like Spiritualized, The Fall (well on one song 'hero'), Spaceman 3, Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden, Bowie - Low, New Order, Primal Scream, Mogwai, the tripy, instrumental dubby bits that start, end or appear in the middle of a million of your favorite Indie hits - you Will LOVE this and the first CD Neu! I promise you.

I think you have to buy Neu! and Neu 75 - bacause to my ears they are one continuous piece of music - Start with HalloGallo on Neu! - when you're bored of that - in say....8 months time....move onto 75. Just as awe inspiring. I don't why their music isn't more widely known - or maybe it does appear on a 100 Match of the Day, Tour De France highlights shows and I just never knew what it was.

For £7.95 you cannot go wrong. Some reviews mention Cabret Volitare, Brian Eno etc. Mmmmmmmm to my ears this is ALOT cooler, inspiring and uplifting than those connections will lead you to believe. I am off to order the other 2 now.

While I'm here - what about Can and Faust - are they as I always imagained Kraftwerk with mark E Smith on lead vocals - or am I on the wrong path? I guess I need to try them out too.....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jun 2011 20:56:14 BDT
Can are truly magnificent. My advice (usually bad, mind) is to start with the incredible 'Ege Bamyasi' LP, follow that up with the mind-blowing 'Tago Mago' and for a perfect third buy, go for 'Future Days'. By the time the needle stops spinning on those 3 records you'll be a full-on Can convert, trust me.

As for Faust. Although I've always appreciated them on an artistic level, I've never quite warmed to them as much as Can. But 'Faust 4' is still a must buy.

Also, may I recommend the awe-inspiring compilation CD of last year 'Deutsche Elektronische Musik'. It feature many great german acts such as Can, Faust, Neu?, Harmonia, Cluster & Michael Bundt. If your a fan of any of those acts, it will be the best purchase you make all year.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (26 customer reviews)

Reviewer