1.0 out of 5 stars New Age Garbage, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Highly Sensitive Person's Survival Guide: Essential Skills for Living Well in an Overstimulating World (Step-By-Step Guides) (Kindle Edition)
This book is simply new age ideological drivel.

Go to the New Age section of your local library, and pick any book with your eyes closed, and it'll be the solution to being Highly Sensitive.

If you think aromatherapy and watching clouds is the solution to everything, read this book. But if you're looking for sound advice and strategies for dealing with sensitivity, forget it - or go hug a tree.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jul 2013 01:05:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jul 2013 01:06:25 BDT
Star Sailor says:
Do you have experience or consider yourself a sensitive person? I respect your review because there is a huge amount of dross out there. I would be interested to know that if you are sensitive, and not just out to slate this book, could you suggest any decent titles?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 09:48:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jul 2013 09:52:00 BDT
Hi C. Thank you for your message.

I am a sensitive person. I have just come back from a weekend with people suffering from various conditions. After the Saturday sessions I took most of yesterday morning processing it as it had affected me deeply.

I have a background in Philosophy, and I don't look for academic texts so much as practical, but credible, guides.

I started reading it and realised it was the o-so-common snake-oil. If the author's supposedly got a PhD, I wonder where he bought it, because the solutions are of the, "eat-beans-facing-East-at-6.19-am-for-six-months-and-you'll-be-cured", type.

Of course, he litters the book with asides about 'this solution doesn't work for all' to make you feel there's something wrong with you if it doesn't, and so puts the burden back on you as a sensitive person because they wouldn't work for anybody. It's one of the oldest ruses in this sort of pap to sell books by feeding on people's pain and desire for a solution so they'll go round buying more and more hoping that one day, one of them will have that silver bullet.

As I implied, Academics can write good and helpful books without the jargon, and they are immensely credible. This book is not one of those. It is the worst sort of hippy psychobabble, in my opinion.

Let's say, from my experience, the people who read books with this kind of advice, changing their diet by not eating beans, standing with their leg raised balancing a little ball on their toes every morning, etc., assuming it's a silver-bullet for their pain, and so swear by them, are the ones that remain unhelped and still suffering unless they resort to deep self-deception.

If you want change your lifestyle and live like a hippy, vegetarian, tree-hugger, read this book. If you want some serious credible help: Don't. Unless you believe him that becoming some sort of New Age hippy is, indeed, the solution to being a sensitive person, of course.

In short, it's the sort of dross you mention - the sort that publishers could use 'search and replace' to replace 'sensitive person' with 'ADHD', and then call it, "The ADHD Survival Guide: Essential Skills for Living Well in an Overstimulating World!...

I bought this book on the basis of it having the foreword written by Elaine Aron. If that's what she thinks is good, there isn't a good book out there, I reckon.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 12:02:06 BDT
Star Sailor says:
Hi, thanks for your response. I would consider myself highly sensitive, and on reflection its been obvious to everyone but me for quite some time! I'm wary when someone with an alleged PhD runs with the current buzz-word to milk a new book out of it. I'm no fan of all these labels really, its just people cashing in on things. I do find it interesting though that people with heightened awareness can have different outlooks on this. For me, based on my own experiences, these things have taken me on a spiritual path, and if thats lacking from the picture in any book, its of no use to me. Makes me wonder why I (or anyone) would accept being put in a specific box by these idiot authors! Thats the worst part really.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 16:39:21 BDT
Hi C.
Although I admit I'm sensitive, I also take a spiritual approach so don't normally buy any self-help books.

However, to put it in context for you, I was looking was for something with concrete and practical tips or techniques which our son - who is also sensitive - could use at school when he feels overwhelmed or picked on.

As I said, all it was advocating, in essence, was: "Take up some New Age Self-Deception Nostrum and it'll all be OK".

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2013 22:01:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jul 2013 22:02:16 BDT
Star Sailor says:
I've found the greatest tool Ive come across in my life has been Reiki. Its become the last surviving thing that continues to make any difference to my daily life. When I use it on myself on a daily basis, I'm still sensitive, but I dont feel as vulnerable.
But its not for everyone, most definately so. It was just something I felt very called to when I was younger, and eventually I took it as far as Master/Teacher level training.
If it feels right, I would defo recommend it to anyone.
I dont think that either the more psychological/western medicinal terms of ADHD, or the New Age outlook on "Indigo Children" really help matters at all. It may be that more and more people are around who are sensitive... or it may just be that the rest of the world has simply become LESS sensitive. Either way, sensitive people have always been present. In some ways society is more able to witness this in modern times, but in others, its completely missing the point in a lot of ways.
I'm still desperately trying to understand myself. No book really can do that for anyone. I think a lot boils down to modern values and social tolerance of people who are different.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2013 10:42:21 GMT
John Hopper says:
I too am an HSP. Has anyone also read Susan Cain's book Quiet (I have); if so, how does this survival guide compare to Cain's book? Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›