5.0 out of 5 stars A Death in the Family, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dr Who: A Death in the Family (Audio CD)
At the end of Project: Destiny the Doctor (Seventh, as played by Sylvester McCoy) has discovered that there is a Timelord casket in the Forge; but when he and Ace find who is in the casket, it all gets rather messy.

This is a story which would not be kind to new listeners - there are heaps of loose threads which come together in this story, continuing from the Project: Twilight, Project: Lazarus and Project: Destiny storyline, and picking up with the previous companion Evelyn Smythe as well, if you come to this story new you would not get the most from the experience. So it pays to do the groundwork in these earlier Project stories, as well as understanding some of the relationship of the Doctor and Evelyn first. That's no hardship, though as the Project trilogy was brilliant, and the Evelyn Smythe stories are very strong. This story also sees the return of another foe of the Doctor, who has appeared in an earlier story in the cd release Forty Five (a single part story, The Word Lord). But if you haven't heard that story, it's not a deal breaker, as this appearance is very well backgrounded (if that's a word) in this story.

So, having got all that out of the way, the story itself begins. Hex has his own issues, and the Doctor and Ace are trying to work out what to do about the Timelord casket discovery when things get well out of hand, for all of them. Saying much more than that would ruin the rather delightful unfolding of this story, which takes part over four episodes on two cds, and runs the gamut from action to contemplative introspection, and just about everything in between. Ian Reddington plays his part here extremely well; you can visualise him very clearly through the extremely clever use of his voice. The other characters are also strong in their roles, although I admit to often finding Hex rather whiny and `woe is me'. Maggie Stables as Evelyn plays a delightful guest role in this Seventh Doctor story, and Ian Reddington as Nobody No One is absolutely brilliant.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Jan 2014 22:46:16 GMT
Timelord007 says:
Fantastic audio adventure I had a tear in my eye listening to this story.

Loved this review one of you best of the Big Finish Doctor Who audios.

Vote not sticking again.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 22:59:30 GMT
Keen Reader says:
I know it affects you like that doesn't it; and not just once, but a few times as the story continues.
Thanks timelord007, really appreciate that.
I ordered some more from BF yesterday, so have subscribed to the forums, you may find me there sometime.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2014 10:39:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jan 2014 10:40:10 GMT
Timelord007 says:
Exellent, What's your username is it the same Keen Reader?

I've charmed you haven't I lol, Feel free PM me I'm the same Avtar & photo.

I was mediator yesterday for family feud tok me nearly six hours to bring peace to my cousin, His wife, Sister & boyfriend all living together all kicked off because someone didn't hoover ended up a warzone.

They asked me mediate in a group family discussion, So I'm Doctor Ruddy Phil now apparently.

All I want is a quiet lifd lol.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2014 17:56:21 GMT
Keen Reader says:
No I thought that didn't seem right in an audio environment so I'm IWishIHadATardis.
That's it for sure, Prince Charming :-). I'm sure I'll catch up with you there.
Oh, sorry but that's really funny; must have been something brewing behind that for a while if it all blew up over not doing the hoovering. See, I could see you as Doctor Phil, you should be flattered they thought you were the sensible one :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2014 21:15:15 GMT
Timelord007 says:
Shear madness it was, I advised a rota so hopefully this will help, Calm has been restored at the moment, But I'm in my Batcave were it's quiet.

I played Prince Charming in the school play when i was 5 as i was only boy who'd kiss girls, Mum has the photos I'm wearing a silver sword & Blue cape Arrrghhhh.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2014 21:36:28 GMT
Keen Reader says:
See, there you go - in your Dr Phil element.
Better be nice to your Mum so she doesn't put the photos on the internet :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (6 customer reviews)

14.99 13.15