1.0 out of 5 stars Careful with counterfeit PS3 controllers, they are becoming incredibly difficult to distinguish, 22 Dec. 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation PS3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black) (Accessory)
With all the talk about counterfeit PS3 controllers, I have been wondering if I would fall victim to the false selling of official controller.

I've been scouring the internet looking into why my "new" and "official" pad takes such a long time to sync with my ps3 and I thought oh maybe its to do with the first time connection via usb but sadly this isn't the case.

To anyone purchasing a PS3 controller, counterfeit pads look nearly identical and since Sony like to mess with pad model numbers across the globe its increasingly difficult to just base your investigation on that alone since some people may source abroad and sell here for a profit.

Major flaw with the fake controller is firstly it does not sync instantly with the PS3 (I use PS3 slim) I've got four pads inclusive of this counterfeit pad, ran a test on all four my old 3 pads all sync with one or two blinks pad 1 synced but with the final "new official black controller" it blinks once twice then it goes solid for a second or two which is very different behaviour from the other 3 pads.

Lastly from the box to the serial they differ with pad serial stating A1 and the box doesn't state A1 which I have odd and alignment issue with the printing of START on the pad the S is over the button where as the other 3 pads the T is aligned over the button. One last thing is the manual is printed on a A4 piece of paper folded by hand it seems as its all jagged which didn't match up to any of my sony manuals which are machine folded nice and neat.

Here are countries serials, also Sony have been releasing newer pads with A1/B1 lately

E Europe
H Hong Kong
HK Hong Kong
J Japan
K Korea
R Russia
T Taiwan
U United States

Hope this helps anyone who gets a new pad

EDIT: 24th December

I have made a further purchase but paying additional £2 from Amazon instead of the 3rd party seller.

If anyone is interested in one more tip to discovering a counterfeit pad, then look no further to the pad L1, L2, R1, R2 buttons, I have taken a look at my four official pads which includes the latest purchase the indentation of the L1, L2, R1, R2 is very clean and deep but on the counterfeit pad its not deep and as clean as the official pads.

Please take a look at the photos I've posted where you can see the counterfeit and genuine packages along with the difference in manuals

Hope this helps further, I've raised a complaint with Amazon regarding the counterfeit controllers so hopefully they will be able to help us on this matter.

EDIT: 4th Jan 2013
Last extra piece of information for those looking for instant verification regarding fake pads! Look at the sony computer entertainment logo, always in a golden colour! but the fake packaging is in this barcode black and white.

Happy New Year all! Lets hope Amazon remove these fake pads if they are shipping for the 3rd party (marketplace) armed with the information.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Feb 2013 08:22:39 GMT
Thank you so much for this. The item came up as £36 in the search menu and I thought it was odd that it was £30 when I went to its page. For some reason Amazon are directing things through a third party seller, and only have "buy from Amazon" in a small box to the right, and I wouldn't have even thought to look more closely if I hadn't seen the reviews making it clear.
On a positive note, I got my PS3 in 2008 and am only just having to replace the controller because it's sticking slightly after I lent it to a friend with an autistic son. So not bad value, at least!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2013 05:25:20 GMT
Alex K-W P. says:
Thank you for taking time to reply, absolutely thrilled it can help you make a choice and save time/hassle as I had wasted time buying a fake pad from one of the 3rd party sellers. (worth it to help others from making the same mistake) actually quite annoyed Amazon have hiked the price upto 36quid! Think this is related to a lot returns they've had to deal with. Sadly fake pads is a issue across the globe! Hope the new pad lasts for a long time for all

Posted on 7 Mar 2013 13:42:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2013 13:43:46 GMT
LJ says:
Pretty sure I received a fake (from EDISales, fulfilled by Amazon) which had lots in common with yours.

1) The box (same as box you uploaded) was not sealed.
2) There are no instructions in the box.
3) There is no advisory leaflet about the Li-ion battery. (Required under EU law.)
4) There is no CE mark on the reverse of the controller. (This is mandatory for products placed on the market in the European Economic Area. All official Dualshock controllers in the EU region carry this mark.)
5) The number "N1158" should also be printed on the back of the controller, but it is not.
6) The L1 and R1 buttons are so poorly sprung that they rattle if you shake the controller. That does NOT happen with the official controller which shipped with my Playstation 3, and that is now over a year old!
7) Non-smooth rotation of the analogue sticks. Both sticks 'drag' and 'bump' when rotated down the right side. The sticks on my original controller are perfectly smooth by comparison.
8) The Playstation logo on the central button is in a slightly lighter font than my original.

1, 2 & 3 could be because it was returned by somebody else. 6 & 7 could be due to poor quality control. 8 could be a manufacturing difference specific to a particular factory.

So many issues together seem incredibly suspicious though.

I'm waiting for Amazon's counterfeiting department to get back in touch with me. I'm very tempted to ask Trading Standards to investigate if they don't hurry up.

Posted on 8 Mar 2013 23:57:13 GMT
R. sullivan says:
I purchased a fake copy by mistake (not from here). The model number is CECHZC2H and the serial is 711719805224. Search these numbers if in doubt. Good luck :)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2013 18:09:14 GMT
I too bought 2 'fake' ones on amazon.......they were sooo different in gameplay (multiplayer) and were just not as responsive as my official pad.......thinking of going to Tesco for my next one as they are thirty-six pounds.....failing that, argos for fourty-eight - at least they will be genuine.......

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2013 19:29:24 GMT
R. sullivan says:
Ya if in doubt go to a store unless amazon can guarantee originals :) my fake looks and feels no different to the real one but i find its totally different to play with . Also from what i've been reading the fakes do not last :(

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2013 16:25:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Mar 2013 16:26:18 GMT
LJ says:
By the time I got my refund (EDISales, fulfilled by Amazon), I noticed that Amazon had got their own stock in at a slightly higher price. So I ordered and it was legit right down to the CE mark. Looks & feels exactly like my original and is in the same box with instructions and the gold Sony Entertainment logo. Nothing like that crap from EDISales.

As long as you order *direct* from Amazon, not "<seller> fulfilled by Amazon", your controller will be fine because Amazon is clearly getting its stock direct from Sony. If there's any confusion about whether your controller came from Amazon it will say "sold by Amazon EU Sarl" under the order details. Anything else, and you're risking buying a counterfeit or grey import.

Posted on 20 Oct 2013 22:54:15 BDT
Fauzan says:
Thanks for the update

But your supposed to review the product itself and not on the Seller lol. But I am sure many people are thanking you for informing everyone myself included for this vital information about the counterfeit seller. But Yes this section is about reviewing the actual product. Anything which regards to the seller should be reviewed against the seller. :D

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2013 23:16:14 BDT
I think the 2 go hand in hand? Counterfeit product = dodgy seller?

Posted on 7 Dec 2013 14:42:40 GMT
M Wilkinson says:
Yep same here, just got a new controller " fulfilled by Amazon " charged it up, connected it to the PS3 and nothing! Lights flashes for a few seconds but no sync. Lets hope the replacement isn't like the first one.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›